Lead pulling to lead biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Widgeon, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

My little furmonkey has made quite a large step forward over the last fortnight (although I am prepared for the equal step back!!)
    He is 8mths and has all of a sudden decided to walk to heal and retrieve dummy's to hand.
    He will still sometime stray forward and lunge for a sniff but is firmly at heal 90% of the time BUT at the same sort if time has started occasionally biting the lead.

I had this a few months back but only with the halti collar the trainer insisted I use, but I assumed he didn't like it and if I swapped to a normal collar or slip lead he'd stop.

I don't really want to use a back harness because he will be a working dog (some days I'm not so sure ;))

My trainer said at the time if he gets the lead get it back straight away, this seemed to quickly turn into a game and made things worse as I wrestled with a small puppy in the middle of the street!!

I find if I just keep walking he will get board and drop it, I think this is the way to go and he'll prob grow out of it (he seems to have grown out of a lot of things I worry about!) but am interested in your thoughts and experiences.

It starts by him gently taking the lower part in his mouth and walking with it but sometimes he will jump and try to get the handle loop with is very close to my fingers!!

2. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

Re: Lead pulling to lead biting

[quote author=Widgeon link=topic=4123.msg48580#msg48580 date=1390217729]
    I find if I just keep walking he will get board and drop it, I think this is the way to go and he'll prob grow out of it (he seems to have grown out of a lot of things I worry about!) but am interested in your thoughts and experiences.

It starts by him gently taking the lower part in his mouth and walking with it but sometimes he will jump and try to get the handle loop with is very close to my fingers!!
    [/quote]

this is my orion to a T! he will hold the lead oh-so-gently in his jaws - doesn't bite it, doesn't gnaw it, doesn't tug it.... and if i ignore him, he drops it in favor of some interesting leaf or stick or acorn he isn't supposed to have. ::)

i'll be interested in the opinions of the experienced folks here on this site! :D