Learning to be brushed??? Hints and tips would be appreciated!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LoraChu, Feb 18, 2015.

1. LoraChu

LoraChu Registered Users

How do people get their little bundle of teeth and trouble used to the brush?
    Alfie is... well... rather energetic in his displeasure at even the barest attempt to be groomed. I don't believe he's afraid of it. He doesn't run and hide, he doesn't stop wagging or snarl or growl, he just wants to eat it! And then runs zooming away from me when I do manage to brush him a little.
    It's sort of a game of if I can catch him for long enough to get him groomed, vs how quickly he can come running back and zoom around me. It ends up with him energetic and hyped, and me rather scratched as he clambers all over me. I'm... a little timid about the idea of trimming claws, so they are quite pointy at the moment...

We are currently trying to associate the brush with treats and nice things, but is persistence just the best course of action here? Any hints or tips would be much appreciated.

2. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

Re: Learning to be brushed??? Hints and tips would be appreciated!

Maisie doesn't mind the sensation of the brush. However, she doesn't see why I am moving a perfectly tasty toy up and down her back when really, in her opinion, it should be in her mouth! She even picked it up and trotted away like it was VERY special (although she traded it for a treat just fine). So now… I have these all natural sweet potato chews. She gets one a day, we sit on the couch, she chews on the chew, and I give her a bit of a brush. She doesn't have much hair coming out right now or need very much, it's more about getting used to the sensation. It occupies her mouth enough that she doesn't feel the need to chew the brush, and she doesn't seem to mind the sensation at all. And I hope it is associating brushing with good things, as she enjoys her chew and if she always gets something good with the brushing, she should hopefully like the brushing!

I think this only works though if your pup is not at ALL protective of their chews. Maisie does often run off to a particular spot to chew on her special treats, but she has shown no signs of resource guarding and allows me to take things from her very easily. I've practiced taking a chew from her, putting PB on it, and giving it back, or giving her a special treat, taking that for a second, giving her another yummy treat, and then the other treat back… I also sometimes give her her bowl and then have a bit extra food in my hand (or something better than kibble) and drop a few bits in so she learns that my hand coming near her food isn't bad - it means MORE food in fact! So she is very easy going about being petted while she has something good. And the chews are tasty, but not OH MY GOODNESS !!!! tasty I think, so she doesn't mind it.

If they are protective, perhaps giving them treats with one hand (little bits of kibble or other food) while brushing with the other hand might distract him enough?

3. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Molly regards brushing as a complete waste of time and refuses to stand still.

I regard every hair I brush out of her coat outside as one less to vacuum up inside, in other words, as a triumph.

I smear peanut butter on the drain pipe. She puts her paws a on the wall to lick it off and I give her a good brush while she's busy. I then have her rushing around the garden after the ball for a few minutes to shake off any hair still clinging to her coat.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I use one of those inexpensive mikki grooming mitts with the rubber bobbles you can get from home and bargain and such places. Then it's just a firm stroking of your hand in the mitt rather than a brush.
    That was all I did as a pup though now I use a zoom groom if I brush lilly.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You've just got to take it step by step. So break it down into individual things to work on. Eg

When you get the brush out, Alfie is able to stay still
    Stay still as you move the brush towards him
    Stay still as you touch him with the brush
    Stay still as you touch him with the brush for 10 seconds, 15 seconds
    Stay still while you move the brush an inch, 2 inches....one stroke, two strokes...

So first, teach a stay still (sit or down) and then proof it against getting the brush. And so on.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Treats

Treat for having the brush near him for a day or two
    Then treat for one small sweep for a day or two
    Then for two sweeps etc.

Tatze was like this and now completely ignores the brush - she just gets a treat at the end of the grooming session these days. Gypsy is the opposite - she's like a cat rubbing against me when I groom her :)

7. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Inca was a pest to brush when we first got her and it would drive her wild. Due to one thing or another we didn't bother trying to brush her for a couple of months and when we did start again at 6 months she was absolutely fine. Stays still and doesn't turn a hair. Probably not the best training advice but it has made me more laid back about when things don't go to plan and I think with some things they do need to mature a little and grow up. I also think Inca trusts us a lot more than she did a few months ago.

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I used to start by showing Sam the brush, but then just running my hand over him in a brushing motion, then switched to the back of the brush and once relaxed with this, the demon brush itself ;) I always have a high value treat at hand , fish4dogs type is his preferred choice, he knows he will get the treat if he stands still for the duration :)

9. debsie

debsie Registered Users

I've had to use Julie's approach with Brodick. Brods think all brushes are ace, and until about 3 months ago brushing him was a right kerfuffle of him leaping about in excitement trying to grab the brush, then hooning off with it round the house flinging it about and diving on it. he is nearly 3, I am ashamed to admit! So a few months ago I had to do Clicker Brushing training, and it took ages to get him to stand still. Even now unless we Clickerise the activity it descends into excited madness very quickly...got to love the boy's zest for all things in life though ;D

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I find the Zoom Groom the best, it fits nicely in your hand and is comfortable for the dog - but gets lots of hair out. Gypsy is going through her first moult and we are getting tons of hair out! We do it in the garden, so there will be some nice, soft birds nests around here :)

11. debsie

debsie Registered Users

That is THE MOST EXCITING BRUSH in Brodick's world. It bounces when one flings it in the air....but yes I find it very good and at least he can't swallow a sharp bristle...

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

13. Morwenstow

Morwenstow Registered Users

What suits one dog/owner doesn't suit another, so here is an alternative. I have always used a device called a furminator and swear by them. Basically, it is a metal comb with fine teeth close together and fixed at right angles to a handle. It is very easy to use, rakes out copious quantities of hair and more importantly Benson loves it! I use it out doors and do not have to even call Benson as he senses what is happening and plonks his backside at my feet in a flash! One word of caution be careful not to be too heavy-handed when using the comb as it is possible to damage the skin underneath but that aside the device is highly recommended;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ords=furminator for dogs&sprefix=furm,aps,185

Roger

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=9945.msg144468#msg144468 date=1424332567]
    I use one of those inexpensive mikki grooming mitts with the rubber bobbles you can get from home and bargain and such places. Then it's just a firm stroking of your hand in the mitt rather than a brush.

[/quote]

My method too from day 1 when he arrived at the age of 5 months...in the same routine everyday ( granted I am a bit OCD ::) ) ...big walk,breakfast,'brush time' = once over with the mitt ' teeth time' = toothbrush teeth clean From quite early on he would know from the verbal cue to go and stand at the back door to go out to be brushed...then he comes straight in and gets on his bed for his teeth brush .....Julie's stand still is a great idea though and always remember lots of yummy treats ;D

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

16. suze12

suze12 Registered Users

Just love the peanut butter on the drainpipe idea! Absolute genius! Milo wriggles around trying to get the brush so treats concealed in my hand while I attempt to brush him.

17. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I liked the 12 steps too. I have found that Chepi has reacted differently to different tools. Her best reaction is to a hand held rubber nodule type thing that is almost like a horse curry comb. It gently massages her back as I stroke her. She doesn't respond well to brushes or combs. I only do seconds rather than minutes of stroking at the moment.