Leash Biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by AJ, Jul 15, 2017.

1. AJ

AJ Registered Users

Hey all,

Koda has been wonderful so far with basically everything.... However she has decided that biting on the leash when we try to walk is the greatest thing. Ive tried telling her to drop it every time she bites it and she usually does however she drops it then a second later bites it again.

I think its cute now but it probably won't be as cute when she's closer to full grown. Im at the point where Im about to wage out a full on war, meaning spraying the leash in biter spray so she doesn't bite it.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Distraction and reward. When she does it, stop in your tracks, so she doesn't get to move forwards. You only move forwards when she's not chewing her lead. Ask her to drop it, and play a bit of tug with a toy when she does. If she likes tug (which she probably does if she's tugging at her lead), the use that tug toy as a reward every few paces of walking nicely. It's very easy when we're walking our dogs on lead to become rather boring to them, so she's probably finding her own entertainment. Make yourself more interesting and she won't have to do that anymore :)

As always, try not to focus on what you don't want (biting the lead) but rather on what you do want (walking nicely alongside you). Make sure you reward her well for doing the good stuff.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  3. Dalliance

Dalliance Registered Users

Is the leash attached to a collar or a harness ?
    The reason I ask is because my Bella used to be exactly the same when I used to walk her using a leash attached to a collar .Literally as soon as I started using a harness where the leash attached on the top / back of the harness it stopped .
    Perhaps that may help you also .

SwampDonkey likes this.