leaving the crate door open whilst at work?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lee Bell, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Lee Bell

Lee Bell Registered Users

Sorry guys more questions- just wondering what age did people start allowing their puppies freedom from their crates when you are at work? I worry that indy is in his too long but I think if we let him have full run of the kitchen the cupboards would be destroyed as he is still a little young. My partner seems to think he would be ok to have the full run of our conservatory during the day however I think it is too cold for him. He isn't crated all day btw we have organised for people to come in and let him burn off some steam.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: leaving the crate door open whilst at work?

I started a couple of weeks ago with mine and it was very successful! I made sure there was nothing too tempting around for them to chew, moved all breakables etc out of reach and just left them to it. I normally work from home, but that day, John and I were both out on a course all day, so we felt it was too long for them to be crated, even with someone popping in to walk them and give them lunch at midday. We had left them in the crate like that before for a couple of days, when we felt they were too young to be trusted, and apparently there was some barking, which isn't surprising, so it's nice that we can leave them with some freedom now.

Now I go to the gym several times a week (SO glad to be back doing that after a few months off with the new pups) and I leave them out with a frozen kong to keep them occupied. I also make sure they're well walked and fed (and emptied!!) before going out for any length of time, so they sleep most of the time. I have cameras so I can check up on them when I'm out.

I think it probably varies from pup to pup as to when the "right time" is. As well as the layout of your house and the potential for harm - to both your belongings and your puppy.

Labradors are very hardy when it comes to the cold - how cold is "cold"? Put a cosy bed in there with snuggly blankets and I would have thought he'd be fine! If you're still worried, a small oil-filled radiator could be an idea? Also, make sure you leave out plenty to stimulate him, so he doesn't get bored and start chewing skirting boards etc. Frozen kongs, a kong wobbler with some food etc as well as a couple of chew toys, maybe?

3. Lee Bell

Lee Bell Registered Users

Thanks Fiona, its not freezing cold and he has his bed and blankets in his crate, we always leave him with Kongs in the day as well. your pups are a little older than Indy though he is only 15 weeks today. I think I may leave it a little longer till he gets a little bigger and then do it slowly over a few minutes a time and build it up.

4. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Bella is 16.5 weeks and has always had the crate door open since 8 weeks ... However I use a pen opened out to divide the kitchen in two, so she can't get to the cupboards/ counters, but has enough room to move around , play , etc, sometimes I get home and she's asleep in her crate but more often than not she stood at the baby gate wagging her tail, toys all over. Shes been great, no chewing and there's skirting boards and wooden floors!!! My house is very cold but she has a fur coat and there's vet bed in her crate and is ok.

She sleeps in a travel crate in my room with me at night (zipped in) I'm hoping in a few months she's wont need zipping in anymore .... ;D

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=9861.msg143081#msg143081 date=1423670266]
    I started a couple of weeks ago with mine and it was very successful! I made sure there was nothing too tempting around for them to chew, moved all breakables etc out of reach and just left them to it. I normally work from home, but that day, John and I were both out on a course all day, so we felt it was too long for them to be crated, even with someone popping in to walk them and give them lunch at midday. We had left them in the crate like that before for a couple of days, when we felt they were too young to be trusted, and apparently there was some barking, which isn't surprising, so it's nice that we can leave them with some freedom now.

Now I go to the gym several times a week (SO glad to be back doing that after a few months off with the new pups) and I leave them out with a frozen kong to keep them occupied. I also make sure they're well walked and fed (and emptied!!) before going out for any length of time, so they sleep most of the time. I have cameras so I can check up on them when I'm out.

I think it probably varies from pup to pup as to when the "right time" is. As well as the layout of your house and the potential for harm - to both your belongings and your puppy.

Labradors are very hardy when it comes to the cold - how cold is "cold"? Put a cosy bed in there with snuggly blankets and I would have thought he'd be fine! If you're still worried, a small oil-filled radiator could be an idea? Also, make sure you leave out plenty to stimulate him, so he doesn't get bored and start chewing skirting boards etc. Frozen kongs, a kong wobbler with some food etc as well as a couple of chew toys, maybe?
    [/quote]

I'm looking forward to exercise again soon too, I'm not going very far at all in the evenings ;D

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

;D

It was hard for me to take that step to leave Willow - I worked hard on building up separation time with her and just got to the point where I was ready to leave her for a quick gym session ... and then we got Shadow. So I had to start the whole process again. Then there was Christmas and New Year... then you get out of the habit and it's tough to "find the time". I feel so energised since I started back again, though. Plus, walks are getting longer and doing them separately in the morning means I get a fair amount of outdoor time. I should be super fit soon ;D

7. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

I gave Inca the run of the utility room at about 4 months as we had to go out one night to a party and I didn't want to leave her shut up for too long. Since then the cage door is always open during the day and touch wood she has been absolutely fine. For some unknown reason I haven't left it open at night yet but might start braving it tonight. Quite keen to decrate before too long as it does take up a lot of room!