Lemmy got chomped not happy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lemmys mum, Oct 18, 2014.

1. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

Well my mother in law has a 6 year old staffy who has met Lemmy couple of times supervised and all went well. She was visiting today and all was going great they played in garden and even went to beach together running and splashing in rock pools all great . fed them seperatly been we got back and they lay down in lounge for sleep for about an hour. When they woke up all was calm just laying doing nothing Lemmy got up to go to door didn't even look at Roxy as he did. She was on sofa next to me awake just laying as Lemmy walked by she turned her head and snapped got his whole snout in her mouth he obviously was terrified and tried to back away I grabbed her and tried to prise her jaw apart she let go when my husband stood over her and shouted. This all happened in seconds and I've never seen her like that before seemed like no reason for it at all. He has a small tooth mark on his cheek and a small scrape on top of nose were he pulled back luckily it isn't worse than that I've cleaned them and put a bit of antiseptic cream on as it doesn't need a vet thank God. Really shook us all up and husband has taken Roxy back to his Mums he's fuming as he's always adored her but Lemmy was so shaken up poor baby. He jumped onto my !ap for cuddles reassurance and has now settled next to me but I'm worried it may have frightened him of other dogs now.

2. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Re: Lemmy got chomped not happy

I am truely sorry that you've had this awful experience.

I hope Lemmy soon forgets.

3. lemmys mum

[quote author=Mollly link=topic=8346.msg117958#msg117958 date=1413649153]
    I am truely sorry that you've had this awful experience.

I hope Lemmy soon forgets.
    [/quote]

Thank you so do I he's subdued but has had his dinner so think he can't be too traumatized I hope. I could have just cuddled him to bits he was so frightened when it happened.

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor Lemmy and you too . Do you think it happened because Roxy was laying by you and when Lemmy walked by, Roxy was being protective towards you ? Whatever the reason, it doesn't excuse an unprovoked attack like this , try to get Lemmy around other dogs pretty soon , be relaxed about it all and he should be fine, he is young enough to cast it from his mind . I can understand your distress , this was totally out of the blue and unpredicted , poor little lad x

5. lemmys mum

I must admit I thought maybe she was but he wasn't approaching me I think it was just one of those off the cuff things even Roxy seemed shocked she is a rescue and we only know she was kept for constant breeding and probably abused in other ways somaybe a memory was triggered Ill never know. Planning on getting him with dogs tomorrow morning he tried to go to Roxy after we had calmed everything and she was on lead and didn't have a growl off him so I'm hoping his really placid nature will be his saviour.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So scary :(

I hope he gets over it very soon xx

7. David

David Registered Users

Poor Lemmy! Well thankfully the Staffy didn't chomp hard.

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor Lemmy ;( I would try and get him around other dogs tomorrow and I'm sure he will be ok :)

9. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Poor Lemmy, sounnds like a scary experience. I hope he has a short memory. Give him some cheese, his tummy will overrule his brain.

10. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Oh poor puppy :( I agree it sounds like Roxy was either being protective of you or the sofa and that's why she snapped.

Make sure to introduce him to lots of new dogs as soon as possible to override the bad experience. Might be worth trying to find some other staffies to say hello to as well - Penny got attacked by one a few months ago (nothing bad, mainly a lot of noise) and since that one she hates all of them!

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

That must have been frightening for you. Hope all goes well when you meet up with some different dogs.

12. lemmys mum

Thanks everyone He's very subdued and its obviously sore as he cries every time he licks his nose and has taken himself in kitchen under table and not keen on coming in lounge even coaxing with his fave treat. I'm just letting him potter so he can see she has gone do you all think I should do anything else. I'm taking him out first thing looking for dogs hopefully a staff or two about.

13. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

I wonder if the key here is she was kept for constant breeding, we had a little girl corgi who could never be trusted with boys - the experience of constant breeding made her so scared of males she would bite any she came across. We managed a rather tense truce between her and our boy but he could never walk past her or approach her from behind or she would panic and lash out.

Very glad your boy isn't badly hurt and would do as someone else said and get him around other friendly dogs ASAP.

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poor little man... :(

Just want to say, neighbours of ours have always had Rotties. They had an older rescue, and then got a puppy. One night the older dog suddenly bit the puppy - much shrieking and upset resumed. It was pretty horrid at the time, but over time they did become great friends with no more biting or harsh words. Hopefully that will happen with Lemmy and Roxy.

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Poor Lemmy. I hope he recovers soon.

16. lemmys mum

He still under table we go and check on him he seems really sad. I know I can't give him human emotions and he's sore that's why he's looking like that , but its really upsetting to not have my usual crocapup

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh dear, what a shock for the little guy.

If it's still sore tomorrow, best get a vet to take a look. Might it be worst than it seems?

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

He might be hiding under the table because he has been scared, not only by the chomp, but your and your husband's reaction, him shouting at the dog and then the general atmosphere of worry. Try and lighten up the atmosphere and see if you can entice him in a game, have fun.

If he has been hurt, then a phone call to the vet for some advice might be advisable tomorrow. Is he eating alright, can he drink?

19. lemmys mum

He's eating and drinking fine come out of himself more now following cat as he normally does. Has crept upstairs with me to bed having gentle cuddles seems OK just quiet for him . x

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah I hope Lemmy is ok and more himself today x