Let puppy louis unattentive or get his attention when outside?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by andreasjuuls, Feb 13, 2015.

1. andreasjuuls

andreasjuuls Registered Users

Inside the home louis is attentive most of the time and it's easy to train

Outside he often get self occupied with sniffing to grass, looking at birds etc etc. assume it's natural for a 3 month old pup?

In such situations what is best practice:
    1. Let him be defocused on me until he refocuses naturally (usually happens within 1-2 minutes)
    2. Attract his attention immediately or almost immediately

The risk I see with 1 is that he can get used to not paying attention to me unless when HE wants to vs when I need him to. On the other hand, i think it's great that he has some level of autonomy and is allowed to zoom out and enjoy things on his own.

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Let puppy louis unattentive or get his attention when outside?

In my opinion, you do need to allow some time for sniffing around and exploring, but as soon as he looks in your direction give him lots of praise/treats. This will help make you more exciting when out and about.
    You could train the 'go sniff' which releases him to run around, then recall when you want his attention.

3. andreasjuuls

andreasjuuls Registered Users

Re: Let puppy louis unattentive or get his attention when outside?

[quote author=Naya link=topic=9883.msg143436#msg143436 date=1423843812]
    In my opinion, you do need to allow some time for sniffing around and exploring, but as soon as he looks in your direction give him lots of praise/treats. This will help make you more exciting when out and about.
    You could train the 'go sniff' which releases him to run around, then recall when you want his attention.
    [/quote]

Sort of what I'm doing but think I can make it even more exciting and awesome to pay attention and come to me. Need to be a super cool dad 8)

Also like the idea of release and sniff