Libby's not really eating!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by DebzC, Nov 21, 2016.

1. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

She has forgotten she's a lab! I'm getting worried now and will call the vet but I'd like any advice you lab gurus have please.
    We went to my daughter's last week in Cornwall. That's obviously a change to normal routine. We went to the beach and the first day she ran off with another couple (ended up walking about four miles, there and back) but was happy enough when she came back. She did get some sea water in her through splashing and catching it in her mouth and picking up seaweed but at no point did she vomit profusely or have explosive diarrhoea like they do when upset by it. A little tiny bit of sick and a bit of runny poo the next day but nothing awful. She stopped eating her kibble but would eat treats, cheese and apple etc.
    We're now home and she is still the same, refusing kibble in a bowl but eating some from the floor or my hand. I've tried a different one which she was a bit more interested in but no more. She ate pork yesterday with no difficulty and cheese on Saturday for training but this morning she ate nothing and this lunch she had a few of the different kibble from the floor but has refused it from the bowl or soaked in gravy. She's even left her banana and spat out a treat on our walk. She is walking pretty normally...energetic on walks, interested in other dogs etc and at home she is still stealing my slippers etc but she's just not quite right.
    As I said, I am calling the vet, and will let you know but has anybody else been through this?

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Always safer to see vet for advice in the first instant when a dog stops eating. My first thought was she had quickly learnt to ignore kibble 'cos something better was being offered, however, when she refused the good things this morning, then I would be concerned.

DebzC likes this.
  3. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

The vet has kept her in for blood tests and IV fluids! Poor little thing. :(

4. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Aw, poor you, it is such a worry. I really hope she's home soon. Let us know how she is. Thinking of you. X

DebzC likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So sorry hope shes ok soon. Poor little sweetie

DebzC likes this.
  6. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I had something similar happen to Cooper but, changed his food (to a more expensive one, of course) and now he is a happy Lab again. Hope she is OK and glad the vet kept her back for testing and IV. We always worry when our Labs don't eat because they would eat all day if we let them! Maybe the salt water did something to her tummy. Good luck and please let us know.

DebzC likes this.
  7. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hope all is well. Keep us posted.

DebzC likes this.
  8. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Fingers crossed for her, so scary when they seem to go all wrong. No, fortunately have not had to go through this.

DebzC likes this.
  9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Poor wee mite, hope she is back home soon x

DebzC likes this.
  10. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Oh dear, sorry to hear this. Hope the vet can get Libby back to health quickly.

DebzC likes this.
  11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Oh sorry Libby is under the weather..hopefully the bloods will point to something simple & the fluids will help. Its horrible when they can't tell us what the trouble is xx

DebzC likes this.
  12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh dear, what a worry, hope she is OK...the vets is the place for her :)

DebzC likes this.
  13. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Poor poppet! Hope all is well x

DebzC likes this.
  14. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hope Libby is on the mend quickly and back home soon x

SwampDonkey and DebzC like this.
  15. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Thank you for all the kind words. The house is very quiet tonight!

16. camo

camo Registered Users

I hope Libby is doing well, it's good she is at the vets where they can work out what is wrong and help her. I only just saw the post and was going to say that Bear sometimes decides there is no hurry in eating breakfast etc (very unlabrador like), but happy to take a treat at any time, hopefully it's Libby just being a little fussy or a minor upset stomach.

All the best, I hope you get good news soon.

DebzC likes this.
  17. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

What a worry, it's awful seeing them sad/not quite right but not knowing what's wrong. I hope it's just a minor thing and that the vet gives you some positive news today :hug:

DebzC likes this.
  18. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Libby's home! Not quite her normal self but much much better for the IV fluids. They think she was dehydrated and weak through not drinking/eating after the sea water gave her tummy ache. Poor little mite.

Pilatelover, Saba's Boss, MF and 4 others like this.
  19. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Phew! So relieved for you x

DebzC likes this.
  20. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Phew, phew, phew!!

:hug:

DebzC likes this.