Limp but only sometimes!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

My Cooper is almost seven months old. In the last couple of weeks I have noticed that, after rough play, he sometimes shows a limp on his front left leg. Only for a few minutes then, it is gone. Is this something that any of you have noticed?
    It's not EVERY time he plays rough with another dog or comes home from doggy day care but sometimes. All of a sudden it worries me a lot and then, poof, it;s gone and I don't notice it for a week or so. Then, back it is for a few minutes.
    Also notice that, when he is at rest, he may tuck that paw in and under....hope you know what I mean!!! Maybe it sort of falls asleep and, when he gets up, he limps like I do when I get up from sitting for a while!!! Ha, ha! I my case, it's old age!!!
    Thanks for any response.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Limp but only sometimes!

I would have it looked at by your vet. Better to be safe than sorry with intermittent limps!

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would definitely get him looked over by your vet, especially if it keeps happening

4. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Have an appointment today at 1:20 PM. Thanks

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Pop back to let us know what they say,good luck x

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

How did you get on?

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Just got back from vet's. She examined him walking, standing.....bending his ankle and his knee back to the point I was in pain!!! but Cooper was not....he didnt even wince. She asked me if he "walked" the limp off after I notice it happening and the answer is YES....he limps when he gets up from either lying down or sitting down for the first one or two steps and then he is back to normal. She found nothing BUT said that when they are puppies they have "growing pains".....also, Cooper had been playing with a dog for almost an hour yesterday morning.....I had also noticed the limp ... the "two step" limp when he gets back from day care but then it disappears. She asked me to keep him out of day care and not let him play with another dog for about two weeks and to observe him. She thinks he may have stretched a muscle or twisted it (somehow) by playing rough and that it will take a few days to go back to being OK. I am writing all of this since we all have puppies and this may happen to one of you one day and you will at least have peace of mind that it may not be bone-related or hip-related, which was my concern. So, thanks for listening to me. I will SOMEHOW keep him as calm as I can....he is a bundle of energy....keeping him home is not a problem, I just use day care so he can play with other dogs.
    Thanks for your concern. Much appreciated.

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That sounds like good news Yvonne! :)

9. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Groovey, Cooper glad to hear u are ok

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad it doesn't appear to be anything too serious :)

11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Really good news! :)