Limping this morning

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by kateincornwall, Sep 15, 2012.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam is limping on his front left leg this morning so no off lead for him today . I tend to think that most limps and other minor things will sort themselves out over a day or two but if no better on Monday I will take him to the Vets , meanwhile am I right to restrict his walks , especially off lead ?

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Limping this morning

I think the thing is that restricting his walks won't hurt him. Whereas if he were to leap around on it, there is a possibility it might aggravate whatever is wrong.

Maybe best to be on the safe side. Hope he is ok

Pippa

3. kateincornwall

I`m now fairly sure tha he has broken a toe or severely twisted it . He happily let me feel all up and down his leg , then I was gently feeling his paw and on touching one toe, he cried out and tried to snatch his foot back , I dont suppose even Vets do anything for a broken toe ? Typical Lab, he is feeling very sorry for himself, but his appetite is unaffected :)

4. kateincornwall

Well I never :) I had noticed that Sam had some impacted earth in his nails, they are kept short but he has been in a lot of mud recently . So I carefully clipped the nails on the offending paw, he was everso good . On the one toe I thought may be broken , amongst the bit of impacted earth was the tiniest little stone , really miniscule but obviously big enough to hurt him when he applies pressure to that foot . Now gone, feet thoroughy washed in the garden pond , limp is visibly improved :) :)

5. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

well spotted, glad to know he wasn't badly hurt and you've saved at least £40 in a vet check ;D v good news all round

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Well done you! Glad to hear the brainiest dog in Cornwall is ok... ;)

7. kateincornwall

Not brainy Karen , sneaky ;D ;D

8. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Well done! Glad he's getting better...