Long training line dangers

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Karen, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

As some of you know, I'm recovering from hip replacement surgery - the operation was 8 weeks ago now, and I am starting to feel really good, stronger and better able to cope with everything. I go swimming each day, walk Poppy at least once a day, have started driving again, and am taking up where I left off with Poppy's training.

Yesterday I had a very scary experience though - Pops and I were out in the woods, and we met a woman with a flat-coated retriever / mix on a trailing line. She used the line to get the dog close to her, I called Poppy to heel, and we started to walk past. But then the woman got a rush of blood to the head, and threw a stick for her dog into the undergrowth, and let go of the line. He however completely ignored the stick, and came racing over to Poppy, who dodged behind me, the dog ran round me to get to Poppy, and I suddenly had the line around my ankles... :eek: I shouted at her to PLEASE grab her dog fast, and after a bit of difficulty she did manage to do so. He pulled quite hard and nearly pulled me over - I had my hiking poles and managed to keep my footing, but I was very shaken up as a fall could be a disaster for me at this stage! Gosh I was shaky after that... :(

The young lady apologised, and it seemed to me that she was probably the au pair, sent out with the dog for a walk, as I have met him before with other people and while he is wild, he plays ok with Poppy. All's well that ends well, I suppose, but I see too many people out with dogs and puppies that they havent really got under control, using these lines. Just the week before we met a 6-month old Labrador, also on a long line - he ran around with Poppy, and she got the line caught around her leg, which could also have been dangerous. Is this just a German thing, or do people in the UK use them as well?

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Long training line dangers

Saying that, I do understand there are very valid reasons for using the long lines at times, a long leash for instance when your dog is in season (such as Kate will be using) is a different story...

3. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

its not just a german thing, when jasper was on 15 min lead walks i bought one of these long lines just to give him a bit of freedom, however i only used it an handful of times as i was getting tangled up in it, :)
    thank goodness you are ok,.... :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I was told to use one at puppy school in answer to my question "can I let my puppy off the lead?

First day out, in the park, we wrapped it round several pairs of ankles...luckily, no harm done. As soon as I got home, I chopped it down to a normal length, and have never used one since. I also then let my puppy off his normal length lead.

I guess they are fine in an EMPTY field or beach....

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Karen,my heart was in my mouth reading your post dreading what was coming.....thank goodness you weren't over,like anything not used in the right hands and in the correct way...potentially catastrophic for both you and Poppy x

6. debsie

debsie Registered Users

ive used them with brodick and still do on occassion but only on deserted hills and if i see dogs/ walkers far off i keep him close and when they get nearer we stop completely and he sits and i hold him by his harness. if they have dogs then i take his long line off as cuillin will often play with them and brods will follow her around disapprovingly ( cuillin is only allowed to play with brodick in brodicks head) and its just too risky. i got a fairly hideous burn on my calf from the line, which ended up with me on antibiotics and now have a long impressive scar so I'm very very careful when i use one!

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh heck Karen , what an experience, horrible one at that too :(
    They can be a proper hazzard , I hated mine with a passion when first training Millie and will only let it go full length in clearings in the woods otherwise a mass tangle is on the cards ::)

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good grief Karen, so glad you and Poppy survived the dreaded training line. We use one with Charlie for obvious reasons but use it the same as Debsie, but we have on occasions come pretty close to disaster. We always call Charlie in when anyone approaches. They are not too bad once you get used to them but I can't wait to CHOP IT UP INTO LITTLE PIECES ;D Helen x

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thanks everyone; I'm sure that's true, that used properly the training lines are fine. In the wrong hands though they can be pretty lethal! I think the two bad experiences I have had were both with novices owners. The owner of the puppy told me she did not dare let him off the long line, since she didn't think he'd come back, and as I already said I had the impression that the young woman yesterday was the au pair!

10. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

I use one on barley, only because he can not be trusted to be let off the lead, we have made a handle at the end then one close to the clip for close control for when we encounter another dog. He also has an extender which we tend to not use as much as id=t does not give as much control and you can not do any work with him on it. we are very responsible and try not to put him on the long line in busy places where we are likely to meet lots of other dogs or walkers.

11. David

David Registered Users

Gosh that was a near miss Karen. So glad you didn't fall over. I think those long lines can be quite hazardous in the proximity of other people when there's a boisterous young dog on the end of the line. Rope burns to name but one other problem.

12. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

[quote author=David link=topic=2474.msg24446#msg24446 date=1378404091]
    Gosh that was a near miss Karen. So glad you didn't fall over. I think those long lines can be quite hazardous in the proximity of other people when there's a boisterous young dog on the end of the line. Rope burns to name but one other problem.
    [/quote]

Barley is the opposite of that, he is a lazy old dog who just potters along minding his own buisness

13. David

David Registered Users

;D

14. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

So glad you escaped unscathed!!

Long lines have their place and that isn't usually with other dogs romping around ::)

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Phew!
    Must say I was a bit panicked reading through your story - can't imageine how you felt (well...sort of ;) )
    I have taken Lilly on the long lead ONCE in the woods - FAR too much of a hazard as there are people and other dogs so never again.
    We have an extending lead - has its place, but never in traffic areas, and I tend to use it mostly when we are walking at the side of very quiet country roads. This is in winter when the farm tracks ar too muddy to negotiate without a full-scale bath, and usually in the early winter mornings when head-torches are an essential as we have no street lights off the main drag.
    Our trainer hates them with a vengeance, and I think rightly so.

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How dreadful, Karen :( What a fright.

We occasionally walk Obi on a tracking lead but we always bring him in if we see anyone. Your experience reinforces the importance of being vigilant.

17. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yikes that was scary to read about, never mind experience first hand!! So glad you're okay.

Good reminder about the training lead - I have one but actually haven't used it yet....my fear is he will get going at full speed and how the heck can I stop him by picking up the line? Talk about rope burn!! Or pulling me over!! :eek:

But if I ever do get up the courage to use it, it would be in a big, empty field, with no one else about!