Loo breaks !

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Mowgs, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Mowgs

Mowgs Registered Users

Anyone any ideas why when Bella is put out in the garden to have her toilet break, he vast majority of times she just sits by the back door waiting to come back in without going ? She does ask to go out

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Loo breaks !

Do you go out with Bella ? I found with Sam that when he was young , he wanted me to go out into the garden with him , sometimes for ten mins or so until he decided he had found the right spot !!

3. Mowgs

Mowgs Registered Users

I've taken to going out with her and standing out in all weathers and once she's stopped shadowing me (another trait she seems to have) she 'might' go off and do her business after a bit of a sniff. At 8 months I'd have thought she'd be beyond clingyness though, or is it because i am her new owner (had her 4 weeks tomorrow) and it's some type of comfort thing ?

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

That explains a lot and yes, I`m sure she just wants the comfort and security of knowing that you are still there , she will become more trusting and independent as her confidence grows and she knows for sure that you wont disappear when she is outside, good luck :)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'm sure there'll be some "oddities" with a pup that comes to you at 8 months... Dont worry, she'll learn what you want from her, just be patient. Who knows what the previous owners expected of her? Perhaps they always went out with her and did not want her to do her business in the garden...

6. Mowgs

Mowgs Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=971.msg5337#msg5337 date=1354386067]
    I'm sure there'll be some "oddities" with a pup that comes to you at 8 months... Dont worry, she'll learn what you want from her, just be patient. Who knows what the previous owners expected of her? Perhaps they always went out with her and did not want her to do her business in the garden...
    [/quote]

some...yes ! strangest dog i have ever had.

7. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

This is a distinct possibility, I have known quite a few people over the years, that train their dogs not to go in the garden.

Pippa

8. Mowgs

Mowgs Registered Users

Well judging by other characteristics Bella has displayed, I'd say she never really went out walking so she must have only had access to garden areas