Look who we met on the train to Birmingham....

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Dexter, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

George and I had a train trip down to Brimingham to stay with my friend for a couple of days......part way through the journey we noticed a lady further down the carriage shifting about in her seat and George said.....There's a dog like Dexter under that lady's seat.......we had a little peer down the carriage and had our own shift around and we discovered Betsy :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/9465082467/

She was a 16 month old golden retriever cross( her Dad was a black lab) just about to start her guide dog training......oh how I wish we had seen her at the start of the journey.her handler brought her out from under the seat and for the few minutes until her stop we sat on the floor of the train and played with her,she was gorgeous.The lady said she had lived with her from 8 weeks and she should have left her a month ago but the guide dog training facility is short staffed so Betsy had been with her an extra month.I could have taken the opportunity to ask so many questions but I was so hung up on the fact YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE DOG BACK.......aaaaggggh,the pain :'( we didn't get onto ....any tips on how to stop my Labrador pulling! ;D ;D ;D
    When I thought about it later,I thought what a lovely selfless person you have to be to perform that service,if there weren't people in the world like that passenger then there wouldn't be amazing working dogs helping people with disabilities live fuller lives .it is something that would make my heart to heavy but thank goodness there are people out there who can.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Look who we met on the train to Birmingham....

What a treat Angela she's beautiful. My neighbour trains Guide Dogs for the blind and it is such a huge undertaking. She has a puppy from 8 weeks through to 1 year and she has to do all manner of things like, visit town, go on a bus, train, go to the shops, walk in very busy places, meet all kinds of people and the list goes on and on. She has had 10 dogs and only 2 failures so pretty good going. I really admire her for doing this knowing she has helped so many people. I would love to do it but with my track record in "training" Charlie I don't think I would get past the application form ::) Helen x

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a beautiful dog :) It is indeed a selfless and wonderful thing to do, to raise a Guide Dog puppy.

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, it is such a lovely thing these people do, and it must be so hard to give them up! But on a positive note, think of all the puppies!!! :D. (Mind you, some days that must be a bit if a negative note too!! :eek:)

5. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

angela i live very close to the guide dog training school in atherton,......on the 1st of september there is a fun day at the school,......with dog competitions, one for the guide dogs and one for pet dogs,.........one of the comps is for the nicest looking dog, my son thinks he as got that one in the bag,.......also guide dog display, :).......it is so interesting at the school, they are always looking for volunteers, :)
    as i have overcome my fear of dogs i am seriously thinking of volunteering :) there is a sponsored walk in the morning i had booked to do this but had to cancel :(
    i will be there to give my support :)

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good for you Lynne, voluteering is a great thing to do. :D I am going to contact our local Dogs Trust to see if I can do a bit of volunteering as I don't have my job any more :( Helen xx

7. Dexter

Oh Lynne, I think that would be a wonderful thing to do...I think the guide dog head office is in Liverpool too...did you see the tv program not so long ago about them?Jasper will walk the handsomest dog for sure,make sure you enter him!
    I'm sorry you missed your sponsored walk but I think canceling is forgive able with the week you have had :eek:
    I think you would really enjoy volunteering too Helen,just steel yourself and start chanting,I must not take them all home,I must not them all home! ;D

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Angela that will be a problem for me I am too soft for my own good. I got my last job through volunteering, it was a special needs nursery and I worked there for 11 years in total, 7 years voluntary and 11 years paid, so hopefully the same will happen at the Dogs Trust Rescue - who knows!! Oh I do have to contact them first ;D

Lynne, definitely give it a go you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain :D Helen xx

9. Dexter

Ah Helen that's a lot gutting about your job......I'm sorry ....I bet that's not been an easy change to come to terms with....but you know,there's something else meant for you......think I sense the arrival of a new Paul O' Grady in town! ;)

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Angela, I am gutted about my job, but I had no choice at the time :( so yes maybe time for a change, I think doggies could be the way to go, although I feel Paul O'Grady's job is really safe ;) Helen x

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hey Helen, sorry to hear about the job not being there anymore. :(

But you sound so positive, and you are so right to think get out there and do something you are interested in, you never know where things lead. Usually somewhere good!

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Julie, had a lot going on family wise at the time so there was only one choice to be made, the job had to go. Here's hoping something good happens :D x

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sorry to hear that too Helen :(
    Got to prioritise, but good to have the choice rather than have it foist upon you
    xx

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Very true Jac, had to leave in June, although I was getting a bit fed up anyone, so just getting the summer holidays out of the way, boys back to School etc. and will try to sort myself out, not that I am at the end of the line or anything like that ::) xx

15. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

sorry angela i meant the sponsored walk is on the 1st of sept before the fun day begins, :) only pulled out as the walk will be to far for jasper with him only doing 15 mins lead walks........yes saw the program it was brilliant :)
    logan will be taking jasper for the comp supervised of course,.......jasper responds very well to logans commands :)
    jasper is playing up with my son at the minuet we are thinking its because of his lack of exercise, mark is jaspers main walker at the moment he is jumping up biting him, this happens when mark is stood he turn his back he will grab at his clothes,he is not doing this with any one else,.......any one got any advice please