Looking for reassurance...tiny bladder problems!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by sigma2, Mar 30, 2016.

1. sigma2

sigma2 Registered Users

Hello all! Our little Mouse just turned 8 weeks old today. We've had him a week. He usually wakes up twice a night to potty which I feel is very normal and have no problem with. My problem is that during certain times of the day, he wees every 5-10 minutes, with random 20-30 min gaps. I definitely love when he finally naps! Please someone, anyone reassure me this is a phase and I won't be constantly enzyme spraying my floors because I dared not take him out to potty every 5 minutes!

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Totally normal to pee frequently and to be unable to control when. Is he literally peeing every 5 mins..(not normal)? Or just now and then he'll pee and the pee again a few minutes later (normal) but mostly it's less often than that?

With time he will definitely get better at holding on. You will also get better at working out when he needs to pee (right after eating, right after waking up, right after playing..also sniffing the ground can mean a need to pee).

When you take him outside and he pees/poops are you giving him a treat? The right moment to praise him and give a treat is the moment the last drop of pee is falling or the last bit of poop (sorry for mental image).

sigma2 likes this.
  3. sigma2

sigma2 Registered Users

Thank you! And yes, he'll go every 5-10 mins for a little while (he likes to drink water), then it'll be a while as he's playing toys, then he'll nap, we'll go out immediately after...I have started treating for outside potties, which he is completely ok with. I'll take your advice and wait til the last drop; I was giving it to him right after he started. It's just so disheartening when you take him out so much and still have a million accidents. And poops don't seem to be a problem. Just pees. We've never adopted a very young dog before. Our last boy was almost 12 weeks old, so these tiny puppy problems are new to us. Thanks for your help!

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds ok then, as in normal :)

If you switch to giving the treat at the end he won't get distracted and turn off the tap before he's finished.

It really will get better - soon all this pee and all the cleaning will be a distant memory. Hang in there!

sigma2 likes this.
  5. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

My little man Arnie did the same thing in the first week. Sounds normal to me. He is 10 weeks old now and I have seen a huge improvement in his bladder control in just such a short time. They improve rapidly. Don't be too disheartened, just keep up with the treats and he will eventually figure it out. Arnie even had a few accidents while he was sleeping in the first few days, but he's sorted that out too now.

sigma2 likes this.
  6. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

So, just to make a point. I had to wake Arnie up to have lunch today. He was half asleep and as he was eating he wee'd himself. Didn't miss a beat in the eating though. It proves how little control they have over their bladders at such a young age. I should have woken him, let him pee and then fed him. Or not woken him up at all and waited until he woke up himself before feeding him, but so we all learn.

I tell you what, I am glad we don't have kids, because this is hard enough.

7. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

Don't worry our little Mole was a champion wee'er!!! Sometimes he would pee every 10-15 minutes couldn't get out quickly enough but that stage passes pretty quickly I promise you!! Every week you will see an improvement just keep with the treat for an outside pee and make no fuss about the mistakes and he will soon learn and his bladder will get stronger each week!! Until then the enzyme solution and large rolls of paper towel will be your friend!! At 18 weeks that seems like a distant memory now!! :)

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We do!

We take the pups out for a wee after waking, after drinking, playing and anything else really!!

:)

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Sounds just like Pongo at that age. His bladder control improved really quickly. We always treated him for wee-ing outside, and it wasn't long (I think about 12 weeks old) before he developed the knack of the "multi-wee" - that is, go out, wee just a little, run to mum for treat, run back and wee a little more, run to mum for another treat, run back and wee a little more, run to mum for another treat....you get the idea. We didn't mind because it was very funny watching him figure it out, and it did encourage great muscle control!

We still had very occasional accidents indoors for quite a while, but only at times of great distraction or excitement.