Loss of housetraining after spay

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by LeoP, May 31, 2018.

1. LeoP

LeoP Registered Users

hi all,

We have a 14 month old lab bitch who was spayed last week.

She’s generally been recovering well but in the last 3 days she has wee’d and pooed in the house on at least 3 different occasions. Always in the same room - our daughters bedroom! We’ve had her since 10 weeks and had only ever pooed inside once when we very first had her.

It seems deliberate, this evening I took her into the garden to encourage her to poo but she refused, within a minute of being back inside she had done another inside!

Could this be some kind of response to the operation? Or perhaps some kind of stress a she is not being exercised as much following the op?

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

The anaesthetic can put them out of sorts for a few days. Perhaps restrict access to your daughter's bedroom until she's back to her old self. And maybe take her out often, like you would a puppy. I'm sure this will just be a temporary hiccup.

Welcome to the forum, what's your girl's name?

EmmaHughes likes this.
  3. LeoP

LeoP Registered Users

Thanks for your reply. Her name is Matilda (Mattie usually)

Fingers crossed it is just a hiccup in response to the meds, I’m waiting a call back from the vet just in case they have any concerns.

Here’s a picture before the operation when she was slightly happier

4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Not sure if your pup is still on pain medication, but the pain meds can make them have to pee a lot more frequently. We had to reduce the dose because our vet was worried it could impact house training, as the week following her spay she was having a lot of accidents in the house (she was only 6 months old). Hopefully it's something as simple as that and your vet can help!