Lump on chest

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by edzbird, Jun 30, 2015.

1. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Scooby has what I'm 99.9% certain is a simple fatty lump on his chest, but it's getting bigger. He's booked in to see the vet on Saturday morning to check it over. I'm just wary about the vet suggesting they excise it, I don't know how old he is and would be worried about a general anaesthetic.. I know I'm jumping the gun.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor Scooby. Hattie is almost 8 years old and had a lump on her leg in February this year, it was recommended it be surgically removed and it turned out to be nothing to worry about. Charlie is 4 years old and has a lump around his ribcage, we took him to the vet a couple of weeks ago and they did a needle biopsy on the spot whilst Charlie just stood there, tested it and it was a fatty lump. I know lumps are such a worry especially if they are getting bigger which our vet told us to watch out for. We can't help jumping the gun it's human nature. Good luck at the vet and please let us know hos Scooby is. xx

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

It almost certainly is just a fatty lump, so try not to worry. Let us know what the vet says.

4. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I think you have to remember that you can nicely challenge what a vet says. They might agree with you or explain more carefully why they recommend things. So speak up (have some notes in case you forget what you need to say). Fingers crossed for you ;)

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Labs are known for fatty lumps , my last girl had a large one on her jugular which was removed due to its location , but yes a fine needle aspiration will give the answers , good luck .

6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Happy me! Scooby went to see the vet this morning - the Boss no less, who has confirmed it as a benign fatty lump, just my examination. Due to it's location and the fact that it is growing relatively quickly we have opted for surgical removal - eek! Had a good chat about the pros & cons. It would be chafing on his harness soon if we left it. He goes in on 14th July. I will be a nervous wreck, but we are both off work all day that day.
    On another point - Scooby was a nightmare at the vets. I took Andrew, his toy flamingo, and a bag of fish skins, but he was still terrible - barking, wriggling, grabbing his lead. I pity the nursing staff who will have to look after him.

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Good news , so relieved for you all , the lump is obviously best removed , wont be long now x

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So glad it wasn't anything serious . I'm sure it will be alright when he goes in for the procedure

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Glad to hear it's just a fatty lump,