Luring,shaping,free forming?

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Jen, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi

This is a question I should have asked 2 months ago when I started clicker training.

I was wondering if somebody could explain luring, shaping and free forming and which is best used for what ?

Luring is obvious but the other two I have an idea what they mean but I'm not sure.

I can't believe it's only been two months since I started C&T. The difference in my dogs is amazing really. Not just what they've learnt but their attitude to training. They don't get bored now, they want that click. ;D

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Luring,shaping,free forming?

Luring, as you know, is getting the dog to follow a desirable object (usually a treat) to get it to adopt a physical position. When the dog is in position you click and give the treat. It is important not to persist with luring once the dog has started to get the idea. You want to quickly move to shaping which is where you keep 'raising the bar' for what it takes to get a C&T. Initially, you'll be rewarding a vague approximation of what you want. Once you're getting that reliably you shift to expecting just a bit more before the dog gets a C&T. Once that's good you expect a bit more again. You are inching towards your goal, which is the final behaviour you are after.

Free forming or free shaping is really exactly the same as shaping but you generally start with a behaviour that can't be lured. Say you're training your dog to push his bowl along the ground with his nose. You can't really lure him into during that. But you need to start somewhere. You might do something to entice him to move his nose towards the bowl, like rattle it on the floor. If he looks at the bowl you C&T. Then expect that again. Next you want more, so you wait for him to move his head towards the bowl. C&T. Keep upping the stakes (tiny steps though) until he touches the bowl with his nose, then work up to C&Ting for a tiny shove of the bowl, then a slightly harder shove. A clicker trainer dog (or any dog trained using a marker) will know how the game works and that it's their job to figure out what gets a click and to keep trying things till they get it. You are working with that to 'shape' the behaviour into the final form you want via a progressive chain of little steps, each step being a smidge closer to the final goal.

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thank you Rachael that's great. :D

It was mainly the free forming I wasn't sure about and which method should be used for which task. That makes sense though. If its a task you can't lure you need to 'catch' the behaviour with a C&T and then develop it.

Thank you

Jen :D

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Jen link=topic=3520.msg38812#msg38812 date=1385976740]
    It was mainly the free forming I wasn't sure about and which method should be used for which task. That makes sense though. If its a task you can't lure you need to 'catch' the behaviour with a C&T and then develop it.
    [/quote]
    That's exactly it :D