Magic pocket

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Sven, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

So of course all the training is C&T. I carry treas either in my left pocket or a pouch.
    Of course I also have treats in my right pocket, which are normally the 'Magic' treats.
    If Vanilla sees my hand move or enter that area she pays full attention etc.

Anyone else get this from their dogs or is it just one pocket/pouch for all treats? (or I am just strange) OK maybe not answer that last part

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Anyone with pretty much any dog will get this response. :) It's not desirable from a training point of view - it's just a bribe. The treats (or in your case from what you say - the special treats) have been delivered from a certain place, in a certain way, so often that the dog anticipates it. That's all it is.

Don't be so predictable about where the treats come from. Try training without any treats on you at all and your treat pouch hung on the nearest bush/tree etc.

Stacia, Oberon and Sven like this.
  3. Sven

Sven Registered Users

We do train with no treats on me and to finish a sequence we have to back to where I left the treats. She still behaves and does what I ask. But she will expect a good treat after a big sequence :D
    My treats are never predictable as I always mingle them, or try to most of the time. Especially when she is not looking I will get one of those and have it ready further down the track

Glad you are still around :)

Karen likes this.
  4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Not quite the same, but when we're at training class, the trainer will either instruct owners to "praise your dog" or "reward your dog" after an exercise....you guessed it - Coco knows which is coming before it is delivered.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree, unpredictability works :)

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We all have treat pouches or pockets whether out and about or at training classes so why does it really matter as long as your dog is doing what has been asked? Lots of training videos on the forum showing treats appearing from treat pouches and pockets :confused: I can't keep up! x

7. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So true!! You only have to look at my avatar pic to see four pairs of eyes staring at me longingly because I always have treats in my pockets. :D

charlie likes this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

:D:D Glad it's not just me! x

Shouldn't it now be 5 pairs of eyes? ;)

9. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, it should be. I must update my pic. Amy, spaniel no. 5, never takes her eyes off me. She is worse than the others. :):p

drjs@5 and charlie like this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You must have some fabulous treats in your pocket :p;):D x

heidrun likes this.