Male puppy - 9 weeks old constantly dripping pee

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rdbrya1, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Rdbrya1

Rdbrya1 Registered Users

This may be totally normal but I thought I would ask your experiences. My Cash is 9 weeks today and when he goes outside he pees a lot immediately. He then continues to stand there for literally an entire minute or more with the tiniest drops dripping out every 10 seconds or so. Then once he gets inside a few min later I will continue to find tiny drops on my floor. Just wondering if this could mean potential UTI (he shows no signs of pain whatsoever) or if his bladder is just that tiny that as he is walking drops of pee just come out. The vet seems to think this Is just a "male" thing and that is simply the way my dog pees and may always do this. Just curious if anyone else had this same experience.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hmm, my latest female puppy often walks off before she's finished peeing, just because peeing is so boring and there's much more fun stuff to be getting on with. But this sounds different. My male pup never did this. I would get his urine checked out to test for a UTI.

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I've never had a puppy, but neither of our male dogs ever dripped pee. Coco will go out in the morning and do a massive wee (girly style), but when he's finished that's it - no more drips - definitely get a sample for testing. I'd insist on it, despite what your vet says.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, I think a vets visit is needed.

Sounds a lot like a UTI. Take a morning sample of wee with you to speed things up.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Definitely have him checked out by a vet; I have had several male dogs and never had this happen.

6. Rdbrya1

Rdbrya1 Registered Users

Thanks all! We have an appt Sunday am and I think I should be able to grab the sample pretty easy. Thanks again!!

7. Rdbrya1

Rdbrya1 Registered Users

Update: took him Sunday for shots and this time I saw the other vet and expressed my concerns again. They took samples and X-rays and said they've never seen a bladder infection so bad in a puppy. He said it was so bad he had sand in his bladder and had a ton of junk in it. He never acted like he's in pain though the veg said he surely must be. We have antibiotics and pain pills for awhile. I pray it clears up with one round! Said had tons of crystals in urine.

Snowshoe likes this.
  8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I hope you let this Vet know what the first one said. Puppy maybe should not have received his shots either, if the infection was so bad. You are only supposed to vaccinate healthy animals. Ask about interaction between antibiotic and the shots.

My boy was older but was peeing blood with no sign of pain. A lot of dogs, animals, are like that.

9. Rdbrya1

Rdbrya1 Registered Users

Oh no I didn't even think of the shots he got that day!!! I'll definitely call and ask in morning. Thank you!!

10. MF

MF Registered Users

Glad you have a diagnosis. I hope you don’t go back to the first vet who said “it’s a male thing” to constantly drip wee like that.

Agree with @Snowshoe about shots given to a sick puppy.

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What a relief to have a diagnosis from your vet..now Cash is being treated he should be much happier (and more clean).

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So glad you saw the vet again, and fingers crossed it clears up quickly. I'd be LIVID though at the misdiagnosis, and would be looking to change vets.

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Poor pup, and poor you! Hope it now clears up quickly on the right treatment. Do keep us posted on the wee lads' progress..(pun not intended...:eek:)

14. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

So pleased to hear that pup is getting proper treatment. Hopefully the crystals will soon clear and he will pee with no dripping problems.

I get very annoyed with vets who say a puppy or dog is not feeling any pain. They really don't know in many cases as dogs generally hide pain so well. My girl has a deformity in her elbow, something she was born with, but did she complain that it hurt, no she didn't because she had never known anything different.

15. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

How horrid for both you and your pup :( I do hope it clears up quickly. I'm afraid I would be putting in a complaint about the 1st vet - a "male" thing indeed :mad:

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm glad that pup is getting the proper treatment now. I would put a complaint in against the first vet if I was me! My girl had pyometra a few years ago and she didn't appear to be in any pain, but the vet said she was probably in lots of pain, but dogs don't always show it.

Karen likes this.
  17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hope he is soon well again

18. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yes, dogs are incredibly stoic. My foster, Conchita, had an accident which shattered her elbow and it was left untreated for years. She must have been in terrible pain every day, but the only time she made any noise was when it dislocated from putting too much weight on it. So "no indications of pain" certainly should never be confused with "no pain".

19. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

>>The vet seems to think this Is just a "male" thing<<

This is a surprise diagnosis. Presume you're not returning. You ought to send them the bill which I'm sure was not small.

20. Rdbrya1

Rdbrya1 Registered Users

Oh yeah I will not be going back to him!!! I know he knows they did me wrong because they did not charge me for the X-rays. I was so mad!!! I did still end up paying $150 between the meds and office visits.

So far he is doing ok. Sometimes he still stays there and drips for a long time, but from what I read in a puppy it can take awhile to clear. He should at least be feeling better.

Karen and SwampDonkey like this.