Manners?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by charlie, Feb 2, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am a little concerned that Charlie may have an issue with some dogs. We went for a walk this afternoon and we met Morna (93) and her dog Dora (12). Hattie, Charlie and Dora all met and greeted nicely tails wagging etc, whilst we chatted, Dora moved in a little close and Charlie reacted with a bit of a snap, no contact made. Unfortunately my husband had Charlie and did not correct him the way you have taught me too so it wasn't really dealt with. ::) David walks him every morning and generally meets a local man with 3 labs in the village and they walk together without any issue. Could this be because Charlie is walked so early and it's dark and doesn't meet a variety of dogs except for in the paddock where he is off lead and all is good except for Harry, they actually dislike each other ::) Where as Hattie is walked in daylight and meets her friends and always has? Any ideas? I feel quite anxious about this and should we be worried? Thanks H x :(

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Manners?

Yes, it may be because he doesn't meet other dogs a lot. Male dogs at his age often do have a bit of an issue with other male dogs of the same size and age - unusual for a male dog to snap at a bitch though... I wouldn't worry too much, just keep on with your training and perhaps you can start carefully introducing him to other dogs... You've done such sterling stuff with him, try not to let this rattle you! :)

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Karen, my concern is that he is on lead for some months until the total recall is complete and so he won't be meeting other dogs regularly off lead like Hattie does, could he be frustrated with no off lead with Hattie? I feel the longer the training and mostly separate walking goes on the worse this situation might become. It's very odd as he was in kennels as a rescue and has lived with 2 GSD in his foster home both without any issue. Could be he doesn't like another dog near Hattie ? :-\ I can't work it out and it does rattles me which doesn't help ??? H x

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Could you start to introduce Charlie to some nice friendly dogs in the paddock area? One at a time, obviously? I think yes he might be a bit frustrated at not being off the lead, and also perhaps he is protective of Hattie, and it could also be his age. If it were me, I think I would be keen to let him meet a few other dogs, to keep his social skills up and running, so to speak...

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

He does meet some dogs in the paddock, in fact he met a 14 year old terrier last week and played with him beautifully and I have since found out that Barney is a very vicious little chap but they were off lead, it seems to be an on lead issue. I am very keen for him to meet other dogs but it's quite difficult with everyone's work commitments. When we met Dora all 3 dogs were on lead and Dora is a lovely girl. Do you have any tips about how to deal with greeting on lead to avoid this behaviour? Thanks H x

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hmmm, yes, male dogs on the lead, that can be a problem when they meet others who they dont know or like, I remember it well!

At training classes we do an exercise where we are expected to walk around with our dogs and stop and greet other people. The dogs sit down politely and wait until we have finished having our 'chat', then we move on. It works well... but of course these dogs all know each other. I have however noticed that Poppy behaves much more politely in town since we have practiced that, no more 'lunging' at other dogs to sniff them!

If Charlie has a couple of dogs who he knows from 'off lead' time in the paddock, perhaps you could arrange to end the paddock time by both of you owners putting the dogs on the lead and then walking them home together? And then after a couple of times doing that, perhaps you could meet before the paddock time, with both dogs on the lead. Just a suggestion as to how to get him used to the idea of walking with other dogs. I think you will need to find some way where he is calm and happy walking along with one or more other dogs on the lead, and slowly you can add other dogs who he hasn't walked with yet.

Dont panic Helen, you are doing so well with him, you'll crack this one too! :D

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Karen, thank you for your advice. At training classes that's exactly what we did but Charlie just couldn't cope in the lesson situation, although it would have been best for him if he could have. I have a friend who has a lovely Golden Retriever - Poppy, the same age as Charlie, I will ask can she assist as per your suggestion and see how it goes but should it just be Charlie or can Hattie come too?. Do you think it would help to take him into town on a Sunday when it's quieter to see different dogs too, as we live in a village it's the same dogs?

He's a funny chap, on Sunday when David and I took them both out, a large dog lunged at Hattie and made contact but luckily Hattie was unharmed and Charlie just ignored the whole episode as if nothing had happened. I just don't understand ??? Think I need a degree in dog psychology ;) Helen x

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I think I would start out with just Charlie, and then if he gets on well with the Golden Retriever on the lead, you could take Hattie the next time...

Regarding town on a quiet Sunday - you'll have to go with your instincts on that one. If you think he'll be calm on the lead, then it would be good for him, I'm sure. But if you think he might kick off then it could be a bad precedent... I think I'd practice a bit more with Poppy the Golden Retriever and her owner first, if possible!!

A shame Charlie couldnt cope with the obedience classes, but best you took him out of them if it was too stressful. Nothing to say that you can't do some of the exercises anyway, such as the 'meeting and greeting' one, with people who you know from the village, though :)

Regarding the degree in doggie psychology - yes, I agree, they are often a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma ;D ;) (thanks Winston!)

9. David

David Registered Users

Lady is the least aggressive dog I have ever come across, but she sometimes snarls and lunges if she meets another dog when they are both on leads. I think it may be she feels vulnerable on the lead and goes into Plan B mode ie attack (Plan A is roll over and submit then make friends). I wonder if that's all that's happening with Charlie?

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes David I feel this could be the problem as he is such a soppy soul with children and everyone he meets, just a couple of times on lead and even Hattie who is like Lady so soft she has been known to react this way even with her friends. I think I maybe expect so much more of Charlie because he is a rescue and I really want to get it right for his sake.

A lady in our village said to me "I would never rescue a dog because you never know what your getting", she has a Giant Schnauzer aged 10 years that cannot be let off lead as he doesn't come back, he lunges, barks at other dogs and nearly pulls his owner over
    (9 stone!), she has never walked him so her husband has to and he is walked where they hopefully don't meet other dogs. They have never even tried to sort his problems out - blinking cheek dissin rescue dogs ;) !!! Helen x

11. David

David Registered Users

My daughter, Sarah, had a rescue dog Lab cross before Lady. Libby was the nicest most gentle dog you could wish for. Obviously doesn't apply to all rescue dogs but nothing wrong with them in my view.

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks David, I obviously agree ;) the critical lady's Giant Schnauzer is an expensive pure breed not a rescue, yet she was giving me a hard time about having a rescue! I think she has a blooming cheek! Just goes to show you can pay a fortune for a dog and end up with not quite what you thought. Sometimes I wish I lived in the middle of know where and didn't have to see these small minded people ::) Hope Lady is recovering from her ordeal and what a great result for the future. Brilliant :D H x

13. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

the "don't know what you're getting" statement does seem to come up a lot when people talk of rescue dogs. A sweeping statement and they're never good. often however their issues are that of lack of training rather than any personality issue with the dog - an issue equally shared with many untrained purebreds I know - the owners just haven't trained the dog to e.g walk nicely and not pull, just like the giant schnauzer. Digby is my first dog and I did come into this with my eyes open but the dedication required to "do it all right" and properly train your dog is huge - I'm not sure many people realise or even think much about it. My parents got a dog when I was young, they trained it to sit, give his paw and other "tricks" but I don't think they gave any thought to training walking nicely on a lead - just hoped he would, or recall, which he would only do if there was no distraction at all. Most dog owners just don't put as much thought into this side of dog ownership - people on sites like this are an enthusiastic minority, and folk like you Helen, who put SO much effort in to a rescue dog are even more so. :)

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I have to say though, we deliberately decided to go with a purebred puppy, although I really wanted to give a home to a rescue dog, because I knew the dog would have to be home alone some of the time, with my other half abroad and me working. I know most, if not all, rescue dogs have separation anxiety (no surprise there), and anyway most rescue places wont let you take a dog if you work full time... So maybe our next dog will be a rescue.

The two worst trained dogs I know are a purebred lab and a purebred Pyrenean sheepdog!!!!! Both very nice dogs, but WILD and with almost zero recall!!!!!!!

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Ooh I wasn't having a dig at pure breed pups at all as we bought Hattie as a pup (cross breed), just annoyed me that this lady had the nerve to make those comments to me when she has a very badly behaved dog that is a pure breed. I love dogs pure or not :D x

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh I know you weren't Helen. All dogs are intrinsically of equal value, be they a pedigree or a street mongrel. What counts is that they have a nice, kind disposition, and that they are socialized and trained properly, with firmness, kindness, and love.

17. David

David Registered Users

Hear hear. One does get very attached to the little fur ball!

Also mixed breeds are often fitter I believe.

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Joined at the hips here!! ;D Helen

19. blacklab04

blacklab04 Registered Users

[size=10pt]This is kinda off of manners maybe, but how do you all get your 5 month old yellow lab male to stop winning all the time. Its his way or the high way and its starting to drive me nuts. I would let him in the living room more but he sheds like crazy. I end up eating it and wearing it and blowing it out of my nose all day.... not to mention its all over the house and couches!!! Need help on any advise I can get with no more winning and also with helping his shedding issue![/size] :eek:

20. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :D

Could you give us an example of what you mean by 'winning' ?

Pippa