Marley's Training Log

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Susan, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Susan

Susan Registered Users

Marley is 14 weeks old tomorrow.

We haven't started a gret deal of serious training, I have enrolled him at classes starting from next Saturday (he has his 3rd and final injection on Thursday) The instructor is a police dog handler, just hoping this is the right course for us, but going by the escapades Marleyhas got up to so far I need someone with a firm but fair hand to help me with his training.

Marley understands the command to sit and knows he will not get his food until he is sitting nicely.

He will also chase a ball that is thrown to him in the hallway of our home and bring it back to me but asyet will not give it to me, but is happy for me to takeit from his mouth.

He is now sleeping in his little room from 9.30pm till about 6am, which means I am getting a lot more sleep now !!!
    ;D
    We are still having major problems with stones when we go out walking and I amunable to let himgoin our back garden without a lead on as we have many areas that are stoned around the lawn. I am thinking maybe a muzzle will be the answer if I can ever let him go out there without a lead on. :-\

Marley loves his walks and he has some grown up labrador friends that he has been mixing with this past week.

We need to work on the jumping up when other humans stop to say hello,but I am sure this will come and he is still very young.

He is still a bit unsure about going in the car. I have a dog guard and he goes in the boot,I know some will say use a crate but he really has disliked his since day one. I have started him goingin the car already as my last dog, Max, never took to the car and this meant he was often left at home and I am determined this will not be the case with Marley. Wherever I go he will come with me as much as possible and of course I need to get him to the vets and to his training classes, so the car is a must.

Well thats about it for now, any help and know how will be greatly appreciated.

Susan and Marley x x

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Marley's Training Log

Glad you are getting more sleep :)
    As fir jumping up on people, it does get better. I used to ask people to turn their bodies away if she went to jump up - most people did, but others said 'it's not a problem', which when they are small us true, but when they get to 25kg+ it is an issue! I would give people treats to give her if all four paws stayed on the ground :)
    Harley hated her crate and we ended up getting rid of it.
    Harley whines a lot in the car. She is in the boot with a dog guard too. After lots of different trips in the car I think a lot of her whining is excitement! Keep persisting and you will get there :)
    Sounds like you are both doing really well :)

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=9650.msg139413#msg139413 date=1422200593]
    Harley whines a lot in the car. She is in the boot with a dog guard too. After lots of different trips in the car I think a lot of her whining is excitement! Keep persisting and you will get there :)
    [/quote]

Shadow whines a bit in the car (at least I think it's him, it's hard to tell when they're in their crate!), and I'm certain it's excitement because it's only on the way to a walk, never on the way home. It sounds a bit mournful, though! We ignore it and it only happens for a few seconds every now and then, so not enough to worry us.

It sounds like Marley is doing really well. At 5 months, mine will still jump up if they're really excited, but when they're calmer, they know to keep their feet on the floor, so I'm sure with a bit of maturity, combined with never rewarding them for jumping up, they'll stop this.

4. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Inca whines in the car too. When we first got her she hated going the car. She was car sick when we collected her from the breeder and I'm convinced that made her nervous about car journeys for a long time afterwards. It was a very slow process but now she's fine and manages 2 hour car journeys without a squeak. However she does still whine when we are on the way back from a walk and I think it's frustration that the fun times are over.

5. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

::) ah yeah...jumping up.... it's such a hard one to enforce since some people truly don't mind... I do need to work on training more instead of just trying to interrupt the behavior in the moment....teach the RIGHT way to greet...

Bella has been in the car since the day we got her...she tends to ride in the front passenger seat with either hubby or I...and again we need to work on training the wait until released thing with her....hubby said she darted out on him the other morning. :eek: But he never does ANY training other than yelling at her for doing something wrong. ::)