May challenge - object wrapping

Discussion in 'Forum Challenges' started by snowbunny, May 10, 2018.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oops, it's been a while since we posted a new challenge. OK, for this month, we're going to focus on object wrapping.

That is, your dog running away from you towards an object (a post, a tree, a pot, anything you like), going around it and coming back to you from the other side. If you're feeling fancy, you can teach them to do this on both sides, so sending from your left side means your dog wraps in a clockwise direction, sending from your right side means the dog wraps in an anticlockwise direction.

For those of us who have taught "run to a post and stop", "run to a post and bop it with your nose", "run to a post and search" or anything similar, this will be a good exercise in cue discrimination!

Remember to break it down into manageable chunks, starting at close proximity and building up the distance gradually.

Ready.... set ... WRAP!

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh! Now, that is a challenge! :D:eek:

Diane Hess likes this.
  3. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Interesting - still working on the pods though :rolleyes:.

Diane Hess likes this.
  4. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Easy. I just put Holly on a long lead. She always tries to run around trees!

Diane Hess, Granca, Jes72 and 3 others like this.
  5. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

Does anyone have a video link for how to train this. Can't think quite how to start.

Diane Hess and charlie like this.
  6. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I don't have a video link but this is how we did it in gundog training;

Put a marker (what they will wrap around) in the ground. (I used a thin bamboo stick about two foot high).

Dog by your right, sitting or standing close to the marker (which is in front of you).

With a treat under your dog's nose, lure them round the marker, click as they bend/wrap round the marker and ...

Back to the side they started (still luring) and feed the treat

Then it was a case of increasing distance away from the marker, dropping the lure and just directing the dog round the marker with your arm but clicking still as they bend/wrap round the marker.
    Then eventually dropping the clicker.

For some reason I never used a word with Plum, I just directed her with my arm, which I still do.

The sheer joy on her face as she trotted round the marker was a delight.
    Now, when we're in the park, I direct her round trees, goal posts, flag poles and she always gets a little spring in her step :).

There may be many other ways, this is just how I was taught (if I remember right, it was a while ago).

Diane Hess, Granca, Inky lab and 3 others like this.
  7. snowbunny

I used a lure, too. You can shape it if you want, as well, but that needs you to set up your environment in such a way that it's going to be an easy thing for your dog to offer.

Here's a video where someone uses luring on a dog that's never done this behaviour before. It's not brilliant, but gives you an idea.

Diane Hess and Inky lab like this.
  8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco is reasonable at this from a heel (sat on my left) going clockwise around the object - "around" is our cue for this, so today we started to introduce going anti-clockwise from my right. That's 2 new things for us to train "side" meaning come to and sit on my right side and "widdershins" to go anti-clockwise.
    It's really interesting to see it from a dog's perspective. To us it looks very similar and hence very easy. To our dogs, it is a completely different task we are teaching. I've been making sure to keep throwing in a few clockwise wraps so he doesn't forget them - but this is probably my human outlook again - thinking they are so similar. Maybe to Coco he is as likely to forget/mix up "widdershins" with "sit" as with "around".

We are just luring at the moment, and we are using the clicker.

Diane Hess, snowbunny and selina27 like this.
  9. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

:hmm::hmm:

What a wonderful word !

Sounds like you've made a great start to this challenge :)

Diane Hess likes this.
  10. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Well, that makes it look easy!

Homer needs more mental stimulation, but I,m not sure I do. Will have to give the task to Hubby. My clever boy is busy humping his bed at the moment - Homer not Hubby.

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

:rofl:

Diane Hess and Beanwood like this.
  12. snowbunny

:cwl:

That is the best word I've heard all day! :D

Sue raises a good point. I found when I was teaching spinning on the spot that it was easier to teach one direction before starting on the other - they have different verbal cues and no visual. But with the wrapping, I am using a very visual cue and the same verbal cue (because this is something we're learning for agility) and training both directions at the same time makes more sense, so they don't "stick" on one direction. So my cue is "passa" with a step of the outside leg and my hand "pushing" them around. If I wanted to reduce it to a verbal-only cue and for that to be different for each direction, then I would likely teach each direction individually.

Diane Hess and selina27 like this.
  13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I was a huge Terry Pratchett fan in my younger years. Widdershins.

Diane Hess, selina27 and snowbunny like this.
  14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Used to do this at dog training a couple of years ago, haven't done it since, must have a go!

Diane Hess likes this.
  15. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

We've made a start - discovered the cue I was going to use is one I've already used for something else :rolleyes:, Ripple told me by giving the original behaviour for the cue. He's a clever boy.

Diane Hess, drjs@5, edzbird and 2 others like this.
  16. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

Is the idea that starting with the dog on your left side, they go clockwise round the pole and then round the back of you to end up by your side again or do you end up with them in front of you? Hopefully Inky will get this quicker than me!

Diane Hess likes this.
  17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Diane Hess and Granca like this.
  18. snowbunny

It's up to you what you're training the behaviour for how you want the end to be. Because I'm doing this for agility purposes, I don't want them coming back to me and I actually tend to reward them left or right depending on which way they've wrapped. Starting by my left, they wrap clockwise and then I throw the ball or treat reward to "9 o'clock" so they go 270 degrees rather than just 180.

Diane Hess likes this.
  19. Emily

Emily Registered Users

OK, we're just starting this one so not ready to put on cue yet but...

I need ideas for what cue to use! Are you using a different cue for each direction?

What hand signal are you using?

Sometimes I really struggle to think of a new word and hand signal!

Diane Hess, selina27 and Beanwood like this.
  20. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

hmmm...going to start this one today...thinking of using "pole" as a cue...just need to get them moving first...:)

Diane Hess likes this.