me again!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rolokris, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Getting Rolo a new bed tomorrow as the one we bought for him coming home is falling to bits and stinks cos it's not tumble dryable and there is only so much febreezing you can do. I was thinking of a plastic bed and then getting a vet bed. Would this work? What size would you recommend? Also Rolo's time is split between the kitchen and when I'm about the front room/dining area should he have 2 beds? Should I put one in his crate now he has been so long without an accident? He is looking cramped in his crate but I am loathed to put him in a bigger one in case he then starts soiling again.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/128783322@N05/5AP976
    So sorry for all of the questions.

Kris

2. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

Re: me again!

We have vet beds in the dining room where the pups 'live', but they spend most of their time on the sofa in there. They have a huge crate in there too where they go when we are out or in bed. We have a dog gate into the living room and they are only allowed in there with us, again they go on the sofa or lay on the rug in there.

I would say that the crate is a bit small for him now, as he can't lie stretched out, though he does look comfy :D can he stand/sit up comfortably in it? And do you intend to de-crate him soon? If not, i would get a bigger one. We've got a 48" giant one as we probably won't de-crate them at night until they're around 12 months. During the day they can go in the kitchen as it has a tiled floor, but it's too far away from our bedroom for me to settle with them in there at night as we would have to close the door (we have a kitchen extension on the back of the house and we sleep at the front).

The crate we got has a divider so you can make it smaller or we could separate them if we needed to, but we are v lucky in that other than the second night we got them, they haven't soiled their crate, even when we moved them into the giant one at around 14 weeks old.

Lou x

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I am a dog bed expert by now - I keep buying different ones!

The most comfy for the dogs has been the Woolfy bed - but not the best to wash.

The best by far has been the Tuffie bed - with vet bed laid over it. This has lasted 15 years and counting! Very easy to keep clean and sweet smelling.

:)

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Vet bed is fantastic. I have got some in my front room, kitchen and in the boot of my car. Harley loves it and it's so easy to wash/dry :). We also have a big bed in the front room which comes to bed with us at night. That bed is memory foam with protective cover and removeable/washable fleece covers.
    I agree with Lou that the crate he's in does seem too small - a bigger one where you can move the divider as he grows would be good (unless you plan on de-crating him soon!)

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I bought a full-size crate for Willow to fit her when she's fully grown. It didn't come with a divider, but DH made one. Once she was too big for that section, we actually took it out and now she has the full cage. I think letting her get used to it being her den when it was separated means she learnt not to pee in it even when it was bigger, because she didn't really mess it, except when she had a bad belly. So, if you're planning on keeping him crated for a while, I'd just get a full-size one.

Another vote here for vetbed. It washes well and Willow can't destroy it, even though she tries when she has a mad half hour.

6. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I have a 48" crate which I have used with a divider - I have moved it along a couple of inches every so often. I have just taken it out now (Chepi is 6 months) . She only uses it for bed at night and it's really roomy now. I don't have plans to decrate her at night. We have vetbed in the lounge but no proper bed as she loves chewing. If I were to buy a bed it would probably be a plastic one but I am sure she would shred the edges at the moment. ::)