Meeting the puppies at 5 weeks (Puppy pictures!!)

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LucyinCornwall, Jul 11, 2015.

1. LucyinCornwall

LucyinCornwall Registered Users

So today we met the puppies at 5 weeks for the first time and we could of stayed in puppy heaven until 8 weeks when we collect him/her!! ;)

The breeders were lovely, very knowledgeable of course and caring of their dogs. All puppies and Mama were in wonderful condition, and Mama was very approachable and happy to see us which I know is a good thing!

The puppies were amazing. Walking on us, sniffing us, trying to chew my buttons and shoelaces of course, playing with a ball, flopping down to sleep and rolling on top of each other.

We will know when we pick our pup up which one is for us as we don't have a preference and other people wanting the other pups have preferences! One pup is going all the way to the Cayman Islands!

We saw all the information needed and have got what we need to take back with us, and had many good chats with the puppies surrounding us!

My 3 (4 in September) year old loved meeting the pups and bless him was introducing himself to each one as they sniffed him, "Hello, I'm Isaac and I'm three years old!" :eek:

So now it's just the countdown!!!!! We have many visitors coming this month so hopefully time will fly by! :D

Feel free to tell me what the first few weeks will be like, as even though I've read The Happy Puppy Handbook, I've nearly finished Total Recall, and I'm reading posts on here daily... I can never have enough experience shared with me!

Here are some pictures as promised:

[​IMG]puppy1 by Lucy Lumm, on Flickr

[​IMG]puppy2 by Lucy Lumm, on Flickr

[​IMG]puppy3 by Lucy Lumm, on Flickr

[​IMG]puppy4 by Lucy Lumm, on Flickr

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

What a lovely way to spend your Saturday. They look great!

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gorgeous!

Who would know what total crocodiles they will be in a few short weeks ;)

A few tips ---

- Wear your skinny jeans, flappy trousers are a magnet for those bity teeth!

- Have some Oralade and and Pro-Kolin in in case of squitty tummies (which can happen simply because of the stress of leaving littermates) and young pups can dehydrate so very easily.

- Get Simple Solution or similar, as other cleaners smell off wee to the pup, however nice they smell to us!

- Buy in ooodles of kitchen roll.

- Get a good, big, strong umbrella for lots of standing out in the rain waiting for pup to wee/poo

- Charge up your camera.

:)

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Gorgeous puppies, and mum sounds a really lovely girl to go with her good looks. Boogie has summed up the practical aspects so I would say read The Happy Puppy Handbook again, and make sure your OH does as well. On a slightly different angle perhaps spend sometime with your little boy on what to do when the gorgeous pup turns into crocopup

5. LucyinCornwall

Thank you Jane Martin.... a pretty perfect Saturday! :D

Boogie thank you!!
    Oh definitely I almost can't imagine how they can turn into such crocopups but reading posts on here it will be a miracle if they aren't haha!
    Good idea with skinny jeans!!
    Thank you that's brilliant advice for their upset tummies!!
    Yes that's on the list to buy at the end of the month, thank goodness it exists!!
    Hehehe bulk buy kitchen rolls it is!!
    Oooh good plan! Will put that umbrella by the back door ;)
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeek there will be photos galore!!

Can I ask which worming tablets should I get?

Thank you!!

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I would check with the breeder as to what wormer they've been using as it's best to keep things much the same when they are little. You'll be able to discuss with your vet as wel when you go for vaccinations

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It isn't possible to have too many dog towels.

How exciting, they look adorable. :)

When Charlie came home, he came with a card that showed what worming treatments he already had been given, the type, and the batch numbers. I handed this to my vet, who prescribed the remainder of what he needed (a mix of panacur and drontal) and completed the card up to when he moved onto puppy advocate and then his adult routine. I was very happy with this arrangement, and the vet issued me with a vaccination card which I also needed for puppy care.

8. LucyinCornwall

Thank you MaccieD yep my husband will be reading both books before Pup comes :D
    Yes definitely, nearly every day I've been talking to and showing Isaac how to be with a new pup and with the crocopup phase, we've watched lots of videos about it too because it's very important!! Thank you!!!
    Fantastic, I'll remember to ask when we pick him/her up!

Thank you JulieT!
    I see!! That's very helpful!! I'm glad I asked now!!

Thanks so much for such good information. I love this forum! :D

9. BuffyDog

BuffyDog Registered Users

Oooh, so cute! I bet the next three weeks go so slowly.

Thanks everyone for the new puppy advice :) Very helpful.

10. LucyinCornwall

I bet they will BuffyDog but let's hope the weeks fly by for us both!!

11. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Gorgeous photos, all the advice so far is brilliant I'd add get some puppy kongs I found them invaluable. Mabel's 8 months at the end of this month, she's a kong addict. I realised the other day the crocodog phase passed really quickly in the end. Definitely get skinny jeans or jeggings. I bought some jeggings from the supermarket as they are great for wearing with wellies, it's not something I would normally have worn so I wanted really cheap ones. Hopefully the next few weeks will fly. I love this forum too.

12. LucyinCornwall

Thank you!!
    Love it!!! We have 1 puppy kong so far and the kong wobbler? is on the wishlist too! Love that Mabel is a kong addict!!
    Amazing!
    I have a few pairs of skinny jeans as they're my current style but the leggings sound great too, every little helps!!
    Thank you!!
    :D I don't know how people who have labs aren't on here!

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

As a twist on "what do I need for a new puppy" here are things I bought that were a waste of money:

A large pack of puppy pads
    A lightweight plastic water bowl
    A collar (I immediately found out I needed a harness)
    A posh Danish design puppy bed (he grew out of it almost immediately - but, it was nice to have but definitely a waste of money)
    Loads of small pets at home puppy fleeces (ditto)
    A small treat bag (immediately swapped for a very large treat bag)
    Metal box clickers (swapped for plastic softer clicker with wrist bands)
    A cheap puppy sized soft travel crate - swapped for a large more expensive one that I've kept in case of another puppy
    Nylabones (I found out they are too hard and bad for teeth - ditto antlers and just about every other hard commercial chew)
    Puppy dentastix - such a waste of money plus gave him runny poo

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

They look adorable . The time will fly by!
    Be good to get some toys so when the biting starts you can give them an alternative

15. LucyinCornwall

JulieT
    That's brilliant!! Thank you for such a great list!!! All very useful to know so I don't have to add any to the wishlist!

Naya
    Thank you! I hope so!!
    Definitely! We've got a few toys, and two specific chew toys but will buy some more chew toys... I expect you can never have too many ;)

16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I found a range of toys worked well - mine for Juno included squeaky toys (all Kong), tuggers, balls and any of the Kong rubber chews for puppies :D

17. LucyinCornwall

Thanks so much for the recommendations!! Love Kong so much!!

What will I need to get for cleaning teeth? I can't find much on it but don't want to use dentastix. Thank you!

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I brought a toothbrush, a finger brush and doggy toothpaste from our pet shop. Harley loves having her teeth cleaned - fun game along with liver treats

19. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I'd bought these as well, in fact Mabel went through three expensive beds in 4 weeks. Either by growing or ripping them to bits. I bought a big fleece blanket from TK MAXX instead. She loved it so much she has 2 in her crate and 3 in the living room which I have made into a bed not a rip insight. Have fun shopping for things for your puppy

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users