Memory Foam Dog Beds

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by charlie, Mar 8, 2014.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I desperately need to buy new beds, Hattie & Charlie currently sleep in plastic beds with a lovely thick fleece lining which won't take another trip through the washing machine :eek: These liners are so expensive since I bought ours 2 years ago and wonder whether I can justify the cost at £140 for 2 :eek: :eek:, so I have been looking at the health benefits of memory foam beds and wondered if anyone has one and how you have found the quality. These would cost £100 ish for 2 but I wouldn't bother if their not upto the job. Any input gratefully received :)

Thanks x

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Memory Foam Dog Beds

Hi Helen,

I brought Harley a memory foam bed from eBay. It had a waterproof and flea proof cover and came with 2 covers where the top is a fleece. I paid about £45. So worth it. I quite often snuggle up to Harley on it ;)
    It is really good and Harley sleeps well on it :)

Hope this helps :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have 3 and Charlie loves them. The actual memory foam has kept its shape perfectly for about a year now, and I can't see me having to replace them anytime soon (I will have to replace the stuffed bolster type thing that forms the sides of one of the beds which is used the most, but that's not memory foam). I'm not sure about the health benefits, but I have memory foam on my bed and honestly wouldn't go back to normal mattresses.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks ladies, I have been looking into the health benefits and they do support joints just as they do for humans. Older dogs, arthritic dogs, and any dogs recovering from surgery really benefit from memory foam :)

When my dad was so very ill I bought him a memory foam mattress and he had the best sleep of his life - bless him :'( :'(

I will certainly be buying one for our bed when it needs replacing :)

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

They are wonderful Helen, for dogs and humans alike :) :)
    Sam has a new massive cushion but the innards have gone flat very quickly , mind you it is supporting a lot of dog , I`m going to order a piece of memory foam to fit inside the cover :)

6. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i had a memory foam bed , was great, lasted all of 3 days ;D ;D ;D

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I remember that Lynne , naughty Jasper ;)

8. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

he still does it kate, i don't think he ever will :mad:

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Simba has a memory foam bed too, we got it at Costco, which is a large discount warehouse type store. It was around $60, which is cheap for what it is. It's his bed in the TV room, he really likes it.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We bought a new bed with a "puffier" cushion at Christmas, but Miss Lilly still turfs that out and sleeps on the waterproof bottom. I had to put a fleece blanket flat in the bottom and mostly she sleeps on that.
    I was going to buy a memory foam cushion to put in the cushion case instead. Because its firmer I think it should be more tricky to chuck out the bed.
    You can buy just the pads on eBay. One for Lilly's bed (which is otherwise good) would be around £25.

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you all for your help :)

Still pondering on what to do :-\

12. Masso1

Masso1 Registered Users

I bought some cut to size memory foam and covered it myself. Worked out much cheaper than buying a bed and my boy loves it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2020