Memory retrieves

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Debs, Nov 6, 2016.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If I can find the remote for my treat and train, this is the thing for Betsy, I think. I can use her desire to stay close to the food (the treat and train) and move away.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Well Charlie is quite correct:D Though I am a blonde! If you stop Betsy with the whistle and then throw it over her head, she will then turn to get it. If she moves forward towards the throwing food, don't throw it :) I met Collette at the person who taught me the throw over the head .

Debs likes this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

How can I stop her with the whistle when I'm trying to get a stop so I can put it on the cue of a whistle? :D That's the point of throwing the food!

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Put your arm up as if you are going to throw and when she stops to look at up at your hand, blow the whistle and throw the food over her head. You should find there is a moment when she will look up at your arm, seize that moment :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

She doesn't stop - I know that's the instructions, and exactly what I did with Charlie. She doesn't stop.

6. heidrun

heidrun Moderator

Move the food away from you, i.e. food bowl training. But you will need a helper for it.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I just don't have a helper right now, although I hope next week my dog walker will do a couple of extra half hours to help me. I might be able to get someone to do a few minutes at class on Tuesday with me (but even then it's not certain because people are busy with their own dogs).

I'm hoping the treat and train will work - she is very obsessed with it.

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

At some point she must stop and sit and look at that hand, even if she comes right into you, even if it takes 5 minutes! Grab that moment, whistle and throw the titbit. When she does stop and sit and if she is too close, quickly step back and throw titbit over her head.

Do you use the whistle sit when she is waiting at her food bowl? Hold her bowl up, wait until she sits and looks at it, whistle/sit cue and feed.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No, I think I'll pass on that suggestion. But thanks. :)

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Worth a try if all else fails :D