Millie booked in

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Nov 5, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I have booked Millie in for her spay with our own Vet :)
    I spoke to the shelter staff this morning and unfortunately , they absolutely insist that she has to be spayed on either 19th or 20th December, whereas our Vet was prepared to carry out the say a few days before this date . It isnt very convenient as we have family arriving on the 20th, but hey ho , what can I do ? The shelter also insist on seeing the receipt for the spay so I cant have it done earlier as the date will be on our Vets bill .
    This has really left a bitter taste in my mouth , I have really supported this shelter along with others and now, there is a feeling of mistrust re wanting to see the receipt , I am honest as the day is long and feel that its a slur on my character .
    We are pleased though that despite part of the adoption fee being for the spay , we are forking out ourselves for Millie to have her spay at our own Vet who we trust 100% and have known for many years and at least Millie will only be two minutes away whereas the shelter Vet is 40 miles away .
    I dont suppose the shelter could take Millie off us if we defied them and had her done a few days earlier, but I couldnt possibly take that risk , just made me wonder why I bother to try and help out and maybe will be a little less enthusiastic in future ::)

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Millie booked in

I would just have her done when it is right for you, and blow the officious shelter staff... But never mind Kate, you have to go with what you think is right, and at least it is the nice vet that you know and trust.

Did you ask about the 'mini spay'? That might make recovery quicker, and make it easier for her and you.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Aaaghhhh process driven organisations!!!

I guess to be safe they have to stay within their rules but it's definitely frustrating. At least you've got the right solution sorted for you and Millie.

4. kateincornwall

I did ask Karen and unfortunately they dont do it, shame :(
    It was very common place in France , overtaking the more conventional method, but then , this is Cornwall, not very progressive down here ;)

I know what you`re saying , I should have the courage to defy the shelter staff but am terrified of repercusions , couldnt risk losing her even though its highly unlikely, but I wont be helping them out again , ever , live and learn eh ? xx

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=3172.msg33816#msg33816 date=1383657843]
    I dont suppose the shelter could take Millie off us if we defied them and had her done a few days earlier, but I couldnt possibly take that risk
    [/quote]

Hi Kate - whether the shelter could take Millie off you probably depends on the contract you had with them when you paid the adoption fee (you did pay for the dog, even though it's called an adoption fee, and there should be an agreement around that). You might find something in the paperwork? If it was made clear to you at the time that the deal was going ahead, when you exchanged money for dog, and it depended on you having Millie spayed or spayed on a certain date with absolutely no room to change this date at all, then they probably could try to take Millie away.

Whether they would try at all or would try and be successful though, is another matter. Thinking about the steps they would have to go through to reclaim a dog from you that you had paid for...and for such a trivial reason which you could argue is quite unreasonable, and the expense in finding Millie another home when she had a perfect one with you, it would be quite tricky - let alone the bad publicity if you got difficult.

6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I'm confused. Is the shelter going to pay your vet to do the spay? If not why do they have to see a receipt what's it got to do with them? Supposing after adopting Millie you'd moved to the Shetland islands or somewhere equally as far away. They'd have nothing to do with it.

Sorry if I'm being stupid. ???

All our rescue dogs we had neutered ourselves. The dogs home has never had any contact with us since they were adopted.

I'm surprised your shelter makes such a fuss when you would think their main aim would be to rehome dogs to a loving family, which Millie obviously has been. :eek: I can understand your worry about what they might do though although I doubt they would or could do anything.

Give the dogs a cuddle it'll make you feel better. :D

Jen

7. kateincornwall

We did sign paperwork to say that if Millie came into season , we would let the shelter know and that we would have her spayed at their expense, but nowhere did it mention that they would set the date which we would have to adhere to , just that we agreed to have her spayed .
    They of course are delighted that we are having her spayed at our expense , I didnt ask if they would make a contribution as I know what the answer would be , that they would do it for free :(
    Part of the fee we paid did cover neutering , thinking about it now , I could have been completely devious and pretended that she hadnt come into season , they would never have known as they didnt know if she was spayed or not, its difficult to tell as scars fade over time , then had her spayed when it was convenient to us and not when they say so .
    I also doubt that they would try to take her from us for something so trivial, but then you never know . Millie has become a real family member, much loved and it would break our hearts if this were to happen .
    They want the receipt to prove that I have had her spayed , they wont take my word for it which is pretty awful really, especially as I have supported them .

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Absolutely ridiculous situation Kate. These blinking rescue homes, I agree with Jen so long as Millie is being looked after and spayed at your expense that should be the end of it. Never heard a thing from Charlies' rescue home, I sometimes hear from his fosterer, they just pick em up an ship em out as far as I can see. Oh they do contact me when they want a donation :mad:

Don't lose any sleep over it Kate, this lady is just another jobsworth and aint the world just full of them :mad:

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The more I read this, the more it just feels like you are being bullied Kate. You own very good vet is happy to spay Millie at a time when it doesn't cause maximum inconvenience to you, and you are paying for the dog you own to be spayed. Honestly...

10. Jen

Jen Registered Users

As you said Kate you needn't have told them Millie had been in season. However you aren't that sort of a person you'd said you would so you did. This should show them you are trustworthy and keep your word which should be good enough.

It's typical doing the right thing causes more problems than if you'd been an unscrupulous person. :mad:

11. kateincornwall

You`re right there Jen , the more honest you are , the more the honesty seems to cause problems, never mind , at least I can sleep at night :)

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm incredulous at this ....i really can't believe it.....
    How dare an organization which you have supported create this situation for you,beggars belief!

13. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a redicoulous reaction from the rescue centre. What if the 'ideal' date to spay had fallen on Christmas Day, would they have insisted on that, too? Don't let it get to you, Kate. :D

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=3172.msg33861#msg33861 date=1383674331]
    What a redicoulous reaction from the rescue centre. What if the 'ideal' date to spay had fallen on Christmas Day, would they have insisted on that, too? Don't let it get to you, Kate. :D
    [/quote]

Excellent point Heidrun :)

15. kateincornwall

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=3172.msg33861#msg33861 date=1383674331]
    [/quote]

I wish I had thought of that Heidrun when I was trying to get them to move a little on the date, it makes a very valid point indeed, but then we just dont think when someone is being so imoveable x Hope you are feeling better now ? x

16. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Taking it very very easy, Kate. Have been prescribed painkillers which are definitely some sort of happy pills - Tramadol. :D I don't think I want to get too used to them but they are doing he trick at he moment. ;)

17. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The shelter women is just a nasty person and not worthy of the attention of a lovely person like you, Kate.

They won't take Millie away.

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Do you have a good enough relationship with your vet that he might "help you out" with an appropriately dated invoice?

*did I really say that out loud?*

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=3172.msg33915#msg33915 date=1383688503]
    Do you have a good enough relationship with your vet that he might "help you out" with an appropriately dated invoice?

*did I really say that out loud?*
    [/quote]

I don't know what did you say ;D

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;)