Millie is in season

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Sep 5, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I thought she was being a little extra clingy and didnt want her breakfast today , now a little spot of blood confirms it , eyes in the back of my head now and spaying in about three months time, bless her , thank goodness Sam isnt entire ::)

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Millie is in season

bless her, hope you have an uneventful time :)

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Good luck Kate,that's going to change your walking routine I guess for a while.Some quality ,personal Sam time though while the little one's time passes ,hope its quiet for her x

4. kateincornwall

Now that most of the visitors are filtering away , I was wondering if I still would be alright to take her to the woods ? I usually meet three other dog walkers when I go early at about 8 a.m. all have male dogs who are castrated , bit unsure really, would hate an accidents but have just got her used to being off lead all the time and staying by my side .
    Sam will have the afternoon walks, just me and him and he will love that :)

5. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

oh was just going to say watch the big guy with her :)

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=2473.msg24387#msg24387 date=1378388451]
    Now that most of the visitors are filtering away , I was wondering if I still would be alright to take her to the woods ?
    [/quote]

I met a lady with a bitch in season last night on our evening walk - I was asking her about how she manages, and she says that she was out only because the kids were going back to school, the town has emptied of visitors, and there were less unknown dogs around. She also said that she just keeps a sharp eye out and calls a warning out to any other dog owners.

She had called a warning out to us - but by the time we'd exchanged information and established she had a bitch in season, and I had an entire male dog, they were romping around together! Luckily, Charlie thought this bitch was a right old tart, played far too rough, and gave me his "can we go now, mum?" look. I guess that will change when he grows up a bit more!

7. kateincornwall

On reflection , maybe I will put her on the long training line so that if I spot a strange dog , I can get her back to me double quick and yes Lynne, thank goodness Sam has been sorted , what a mix that would be ;D

Oh bless Charlie , and yes, his attitude will change for sure :) :)
    It still gets busy at Golitha Falls during the afternoons, but rarely anyone much around early mornings, more likely to see a fox than other dogs , but yesterday I took them both to Seaton beach, loads of people and dogs , thankfully all the dogs seemed to be engrossed in playing in the sea :)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

In two weeks time it'll be a different story Kate, they'll be around her like wasps around honey! :eek:

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh poor Millie, a long line for this girl I think. Helen x

10. kateincornwall

Its a very long time since I had a bitch on heat, my last Lab was spayed prior to her first one as advised by the French Vet and regretted afterwards , so I`ve forgotten what little tarts they can be :)

Definately the training line and then any signs of a dog I dont know and I can reel her in , thank goodness she is only about 6 kilos ;)

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

6 kilos you can just quickly pick her up if any randy boys appear ;D. Helen x

12. kateincornwall

Thats the big advantage of a tiny dog Helen, now if was Sams weight , 38 kilos , I think she would be confined to quarters ::)

13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Long line sounds like a good plan, you never know who you might meet and how flirty she's going to be :eek: probably shameless!

14. Alice

Alice Registered Users

Poor Millie I expect she is quite confused. Most vets do recommend spaying very early now (I know that Millie being a rescue dog it didn't apply); we waited until after Bess had her first season. It was really hard work as she was so keen to be off. The extending lead came into its own as I had no confidence that she wouldn't abscond with the nearest intact dog! Once out it was really quite pleasant walking the lanes before six in the morning. The worst bit was keeping her confined to the kitchen though she didn't seem to mind at all.
    Alice

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Vets here (Australia) recommend not waiting till the bitch has had a season. Allowing the bitch to have even one season increases her risk of breast cancer so that's one reason desexing (as neutering is called here) prior is recommended. I don't personally know what the risk stats are though. The other biggie of course would be that it eliminates the risk of pregnancy... As I'm mentioned on another thread Australia has a very pro-desexing culture. Most people would not experience any dilemma over the 'desex or not' question.

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Does that apply to "yoofs" too.....oops! :eek:

17. kateincornwall

Its sods law that we have just revamped the sitting room with new carpet too, but so far, she is keeping herself very clean, bless her . As she has only just begun to really relax around us and realise that she can come into rooms without fear , I couldnt now confine her to a non carpet room, it might set her right back x

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh Kate, the poor little thing. Goodness knows what kind of a life she had before she came to you... and yet she is such a love, with no aggression at all.

19. kateincornwall

She is a darling Karen , makes me weep thinking of her past as she was obviously ill treated :'(
    Its hard because we have to build up her confidence but not feel too sorry for her , there are deep rooted fears like not wanting to walk past our legs ( thinking kicks ) but no, not an ounce of aggression in her little body :(

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Kate,don't!doesn't bear thinking about ......carpets can be cleaned and I'm sure you are coping with that aspect capably anyway.
    Take care,best wishes
    Angela x