Missing her "Mum"

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Dec 10, 2013.

1. David

David Registered Users

My OH has been in hospital since Sunday, 1st December with a really bad pneumonia on both lungs; hence lack of posts from me although I've been having a quick look every day. Anyway all on the mend now although we did have a few frights early on when she was in ICU and things could have gone either way. Right combo of IV antibiotics now doing their stuff at last and hopefully Rosemary will be home in the next few days. I think getting back to full health will take ages, though, as she's had all the stuffing knocked out of her.

I hadn't realised how much a dog would miss someone. In the evenings Lady sits alert for most of the evening with her gaze fixed on the little window in the drawing room that looks out into the hall onto the front door. She just doesn't move her gaze or settle until maybe 9:30 or even later and if there's the slightest sound from the street she's up and looking at the front door. Wouldn't have credited a dog with that. She obviously misses her "mum" quite badly. So there you are.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Missing her "Mum"

Oh David, how absolutely awful for you , I had wondered where you were , am so sorry to hear about your OH and wish her a speedy recovery .
    Labs are so sensitive , I`m sure that they know far more than we credit them for so bless Lady for missing her Mummy .
    You take care , I am so pleased to hear that your OH is now on the mend and will be heading home soon , thoughts are with you xx

3. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Oh David, so sorry to hear that Rosemary has been so unwell, and pleased that things are going the right way now. Sounds like you and Lady need to settle down together for hugs in the evenings... of course Lady is aware of the change in normal routine - it's tough for all of you. Will be thinking of you all and hope that Rosemary is indeed home shortly. Very best wishes,
    Clare

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Goodness!! I'm so glad Rosemary is on the mend I hope you have a nice gentle Christmas planned for the both of you :)

Bless lovely Lady, I think they're only truly happy and relaxed when their little family is all together.

Take care of yourselves x

5. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i sympathise with rosemary having had pneumonia my self twice, the latter being this year, i was fortunate to have had the jab..so was not as bad as it could have been,.....wishing a speedy recovery to rosemary,.....bless lady :)

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh dear, how horrible for all of you! So glad to hear your dear one is on the mend, but as you say, she will likely be set back for awhile. It is amazing how dogs pick up on our troubles, they definitely know when something is wrong. Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery and that you are all together again soon...

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sorry to hear that David - what a worry for you.
    Glad your OH is on the mend. Shares her name with my MIL.
    Its pretty stressful for us humans, the trekking back and forth from hospital, the added worry.
    Hope you are ok yourself - I'm sure Lady has been keeping her eye on you too.
    Best wishes from us lot xx

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

So sorry to read all the worry you have been through and the heart ache at watching Lady missing your wife so much. All will be overjoyed when she comes home.

9. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sending best wishes to you and your wife, David, and hoping for a speedy recovery. What a fright it must have been. Hope you will all be reunited at home very soon. :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Glad to hear your OH is on the mend. Bless Lady! She'll be glad to have her mum back - I hope that's soon.

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

David, so very sorry to hear how ill your wife has been, how awful for you. I wish Rosemary a very speedy recovery and I hope you and Lady are coping. My very best wishes to you all. Helen xxxx

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

It hadn't gone unnoticed that you weren't around very much, David. So sorry your dear wife has been so ill - best wishes for a speedy recovery, and a happy reunion for you, Rosemary and Lady. :)

13. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

What a worrying time you have had :( So glad your other lady is on the mend and hope she is well enough to enjoy a good Christmas snuggle on the sofa with four-legged Lady :) xx

14. David

David Registered Users

Hey - thanks, guys for all your nice posts. Rosemary is getting stir-crazy which is a good sign and hopefully home by the weekend but it has been a tiring fortnight and I have to say at one point I thought I'd lost her. Yes the other Lady will be very attentive, I'm sure. At the moment she's eating half a pig's ear, but Iexpect she'll be back on watch straight after that. ;D

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a dreadful fright :( So very glad to hear that she is well and truly on the mend.

Lady is a good girl. Soon her vigilance will be rewarded when her Mum walks in the door :)

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=David link=topic=3614.msg40521#msg40521 date=1386706600]
    Hey - thanks, guys for all your nice posts. Rosemary is getting stir-crazy which is a good sign and hopefully home by the weekend but it has been a tiring fortnight and I have to say at one point I thought I'd lost her. Yes the other Lady will be very attentive, I'm sure. At the moment she's eating half a pig's ear, but Iexpect she'll be back on watch straight after that. ;D
    [/quote]
    David I'm really sorry I'm only just chipping in now,I've missed this thread ....what a horrible time,you must have been awfully worried.you be careful you don't get hit with something now your wife is on the mend,stress and worry really run you down.
    Thankfully it sounds like you will all be home together soon
    Best wishes
    Angela

17. David

David Registered Users

Thank you, Angela. Looking forward to giving her breakfast in bed. 8)

18. David

David Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3614.msg40569#msg40569 date=1386715366]Lady is a good girl. Soon her vigilance will be rewarded when her Mum walks in the door :)
    [/quote]

Yes looking forward to the enthusiastic welcome. I have to say I'm a little jealous because as far as I know, Lady doesn't do that for me.

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Poor all of you. :(

Glad your wife is feeling better. Like you said if she's getting stir crazy it's a good sign.

Lady will be so excited when she comes home. Full body wag and everything. She will make your wife feel better. There nothing quite like a Labrador greeting to make yo feel good.

Prepare to feel jealous David and to have two ladies to wait on. ;)

20. David

David Registered Users

Just heard that Rosemary can come home tomorrow!

Now a few things to do ..,,

Hoovering,
    Cleaning
    Rubbish
    Evidence of dog in bedroom ;D
    Shopping
    etc
    etc

;D