Mix Behavior ; Confused Owner

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Averina, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Averina

Averina Registered Users

My puppy is now 2 months and 3 weeks y.o. I took him a 1.5 week ago but i feel like it was 1.5 month. I love puppies but i just hate the biting.. I don't want to put him in a crate and let him play around in the house but he just keep biting. I absolutely sure he is 40% crocodile, 40% baby shark, and 20% yellow labrador.

This forum has taught me lots of new things about lab puppies and has given me comfort during to reduce my fear and frustration in the past week. I know that this biting phase will stop... But I just can't handle anymore bruises, blood, and tears.

He's a smart baby. He learned to sit, shake hand, and lay down in a week. I have an emergency with my family last weekend (3 days ago) so i have to put him in a dog hotel. He made lots of new friends there and the hotel owner said that he didn't made any trouble. After he got home, i saw that he's happy. He became calm and sweet. For 2 days, the biting has reduce significantly. And we are relieved. But after that, he come back to his real self. He bites more agresively, and toy is useless to distract him. The only thing that works is treats/food.

Last week, he let go when we said "let go" or stop and went away when we said "no" in a firm voice. Now it was useless..

2. LabPuppy

LabPuppy Registered Users

Given that it improved when he was around other dogs, do you think that it could be a way of him burning off energy? I noticed that our pup gets more bitey when he hasn't been running around or hasn't been around other dogs. If you tire him out, does it improve?

3. Averina

Averina Registered Users

thank you for your reply.
    We tried tire him up and it turns out to got him over tired and more cranky than ever.

I first got confused about him being cranky when we finished getting him tired. But then i learned about an over tired puppy.

This night i just got home, and play with him and i left him to rest when he got tired. but then he climbed to me and i got bitten again.

help i just dont know what to do..

4. David Poole

David Poole Registered Users

We have our 3 month old pup spend 2 days a week with friends who also have a 3 month old pup. He seems to get all biting out with the other pup and he’s really calm at home afterwards. I also have been taking Sam on some pretty long walks 2-3 times a day. It helps a lot. Puppies have lots of energy and lab puppies have LOTS of energy. Labs require lots of work to get that energy out.

5. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Over exercising a young lab to get rid of it’s energy isn’t the way to go. The reason you buy a dog with good hip/elbow scores is because they are susceptible to very debilitating joint issues. Having good genes is only part of the equation. The general rule is up to 5 minutes per month of age twice a day and avoid stairs.
    The best way to tire a young pup out is to stimulate it’s brain using things like scent training/ food puzzles and obedience training.

Edp likes this.
  6. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Totally agree. At that age, training was way more exhausting for Meg than exercise. At 12 weeks she just pottered around, no formal walking.