Monty's abscess

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by leejane, Sep 9, 2017.

1. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

So, we had a nice few days away on the Suffolk coast, very dog friendly (i'll write a separate thread about where we went with Monty), we were half way back and stopped at Ely for lunch, when OH said - "what's that on Monty's neck?"

He had a huge (almost tennis ball sized ) lump at the top of his neck, sort of under his chin on one side. We rushed him to the vet, and he was booked in yesterday to drain off what was thankfully, only an abscess. No idea what has caused it, no foreign bodies found, but maybe explained his excessive drooling the day before, and tiredness which we had put down to lots of running on the beach and longer days without many snoozes. But the speed that it appeared was tremendous.

Unfortunately the wound in his neck, just short of an inch long, has had to be left open, for the last remnants of pus (bleurgh I hate that word) and a bit of blood to drain away. So we are having to wash it 3-4 times daily to keep it clean, and must be very uncomfy for him. But what seems to be causing the most discomfort is the shaved spot on his shin where they put the GA in - he is licking it almost constantly, I am worried he's about to break the skin on it.

Poor guy can't catch a break - since February, he's had a cracked claw which got infected (1 week AB's), 10 days of gastritis (stomach xrays, anti sickness, further Ab's), a lump on his back- cause undetermined, disappeared within 2 weeks, and now this abscess, 2 weeks worth of antibiotics. Plus ongoing treatment for his HD/ED.

But, so thankful it's not anything more serious.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh dear, poor Monty, has really has been in the wars x A cat of mine, many years ago had a massive abscess which came up in record time , its scary indeed . So many things can cause them , stings , tiny cuts or even grazes from undergrowth which then become infected , at least gravity will do its stuff to help the ongoing draining , hoping he is much better soon x

3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Poor Monty, that's horrid for him.

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Oh no poor Monty he such a star he copes with everything so bravely . Hope its better soon and there's not too much drainage. Big hugs

5. leejane

Thanks @kateincornwall that makes me feel better hearing a similar thing happened to you, I had been feeling guilty that I hadn't spotted it earlier, but maybe it just wasn't there the day before.

kateincornwall likes this.
  6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor boy. He's certainly been in the wars. Hope it heals soon x

7. SwampDonkey

That type of abcess does come really fast. I had one that I noticed around 2 pm and by 6pm when Oh got home it was massive. By 10 pm half my face was swollen. They can blow up really quick there'd no way you would gave missed that

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh please, don't feel guilty , the one on our cat came up to golf ball size within about an hour , its not your fault and you got Monty to the Vets quickly, bless him x

9. leejane

Thanks for your replies and kind words, again @SwampDonkey that makes me feel a bit better these things happen so quickly though sounded horrible for you.

The drainage is pretty icky as it's getting caught in all his long mane hair, but is definitely better than it was this morning.
    There's many loads of washing with dettol included this weekend. :puke:

10. SwampDonkey

Hibiscrubs is good you can get it from boots.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh my gosh, you poor things, what a worry for you.
    Glad the vet has sorted him out, hope the recovery is pretty quick - you all need a break!

12. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Poor Monty - how worrying the speed of it all. Pleased he is on the mend.

13. Joy

Joy Registered Users

That must have been so worrying for you -glad it was nothing worse. Hope your poor boy heals up quickly.

14. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Poor Monty. Hope he's better soon.

15. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hope Monty is feeling better soon.

16. leejane

Spoilt dog... he doesn't actually need a pillow but his head just happened to land there. You can just see his two bald patches. 20170909_222120-2448x1836.jpg 20170909_221809-2448x1836.jpg

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Awww.....

18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Poor Monty. He does look as if he might be milking it a little though...;)

leejane likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Gentle healing hugs to Monty!

20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Poor Monty. I hope he's feeling better soon.

When Willow was spayed, the shaved bit on her leg really seemed to bother her. I had to keep distracting her from it; it got quite red and sore. I covered it with vet wrap in the end, which helped a bit. Could you try that?