More beach fun....

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Aug 9, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Few holiday snaps of some more beach fun. Ok, we are starting training really, really seriously tomorrow. Promise!

Charlie does not get tired of the beach, every time is like the first time – to be so young and find life SO exciting!

[​IMG]
    beach still super exciting by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

Getting more confident in the sea now we’ve been in the river a few times. Still not swimming though. But got lots of time yet. Early days still.

[​IMG]
    getting more confident in the sea by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

Quick audition as an extra in Jurassic Park…. fearsome Charlie!

[​IMG]
    Velociraptor charlie! by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

But really was just trying to catch the ropy bone.

[​IMG]
    gotta get it gotta get it by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

He got it. Catch is THE game this week.

[​IMG]
    got it got it by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: More beach fun....

Love these Julie, is it Par beach ? Charlie is having a blast ;D

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, these were taken at Par - it's lovely for dogs (before the kids turn up). We haven't been on it for a while because there was some dead fish in the river which runs onto the beach, but got the all clear now.

Tomorrow, we are trying Holywell - it's too far to drive for a normal walk, but we are seeing friends.

(And then we'll do some training. ::) - I'm so hopeless! Too much fun and not enough work will make Charlie a naughty puppy...we practise things we've already learned while we are out though...).

4. kateincornwall

I thought it was Par , we go there a lot in autumn and winter when its really quiet, just dogs :)
    Heard about the fish on local radio too . Have you been to Seaton ? Its east of where you are , plenty of parking almost on the beach which is dog friendly all year round . Best of all is the really quirky beach cafe where dogs are welcome , you sit in sort of mud huts with fabulous views over to Looe Island, well worth the drive, not far , always loads of dogs and theres a river running over the beach too, its where Riley and Sam had a blast recently :)

5. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

I thought I lived somewhere nice, but your place looks amazing. What lovely pics of a great pup.x

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Kate - I'll try that, for sure. I need to take him to more cafes/pubs and was just looking up where we might go.

7. kateincornwall

Julie, google Seaton Beach Cafe , you`ll see what I mean by quirky !! My Daughter lives just round the corner in Looe so we go often, Charlie will love it :)

8. kateincornwall

Here is a photo of Seaton beach cafe Julie , my Grans house is just at the back of the beach, happy childhood days :)

[​IMG]

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fabulous spot!!

Charlie looks so happy :) All the stuff you are doing is training - new places, sights, sounds and experiences :) It's all great for him.

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I want to move to Cornwall it's so beautiful. Lucky you Kate. Helen xx

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'll definitely be off to Seaton - it looks great, and it will be really good for him to go to a cafe. We've only tried once, and he was a bit too young and was very over excited and badly behaved. So we'll try again.

Also, I'm just back from Par. We had a good walk but it was high tide and some small kids (Charlie likes to play 10 pin bowling with them - he plays the ball, obviously) were on the much smaller at high tide beach. So it was busy and I was trying to get him to stay close, mainly ok. But he legged it a little way from me and picked up a dead fish. Normally, I'd deal with this fine, distract him, and get it off him quietly and gently. But I panicked a bit due to earlier mentioned pollution and dead fish etc, and we had a somewhat unseemly struggle. :-[ With a few people looking on. And the fish stank so bad it made me gag. Sigh.... so I do need to do a bit more training here. I'm trying to brush it off as "5 month old pup didn't want to drop smelly dead fish" no big deal, but I know that we should be more disciplined about things.

On the funny side though, he was following a dog who had just come over to say hello and went back to his owner, and owner threw a stick back towards me obviously hoping Charlie would head back to me. Of course, Charlie retrieved the stick and took it back to the woman! So she threw it again! I had to go get him and explain she was giving him the best game ever and please stop throwing the stick - it wasn't going to make him go away! My little fetch boy.

And on the up side, he got into a rough and tumble with two big boys and seemed determined to hold his own rather than running back behind my legs and he followed them into the sea out of his depth! Hurrah! He looked very surprised to find he could swim! Only for a few seconds, but he was swimming!

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Julie don't worry at all,Charlie's having a great time and a massive expanse of his bank of his experiences ......panic WILL set in at certain times .....look at me the first time Dexter ran out of my comfort zone........panicked and forgot everything and put him on the lead when he came back .....then we both just looked at each other and hanged our heads .......dead fish......can poison your puppy ......so wrestle all you want,you are the one in charge,well done! X

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We were down at the lake one day and Obi was rummaging around in some reeds and emerged with a dead fish - mostly decomposed. It had mainly just a head and tail, with the spine in between - like a cartoon fish. Naturally I screeched my head off but also luckily was able to get it off him in exchange for a goodly quantity of treats, without having to touch it. It stunk to high heaven.

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Angela and Rachael - feel a bit better about it today. We have done our leave it clicker training session this morning though!

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Gorgeous photos of a lovely boy having a lot of fun!

16. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Gotta love those ears in the first shot! :)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

We went to Seaton today, the place in Kate's photo. Had breakfast, it was lovely. Charlie didn't settle down too well in the cafe but didn't embarrass me hugely. (Small dig in a big planter, but I put the geranium back in... :-[).

The waves were big, and he was happily in and out of the sea. And he launched himself in the river with another puppy, and he was definitely swimming for a couple of paddles!

He was super, super good walking passed dogs and kids off lead :).

Thanks Kate, can also recommend this to lab owners visiting Cornwall.

18. kateincornwall

Glad you enjoyed it Julie, its just such a quirky lovely place , we are visiting tomorrow . My Grans old house is the big white one at the back of the beach so its a special place for me , glad Charlie didnt disgrace himself too much, at least they are dog friendly :)