Morning Barking

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by JDW, Jul 14, 2020.

1. JDW

JDW Registered Users

Hi all,

We have a lovely natured 8 month old female Spingador called Skylar but we are struggling with how to deal with her very specific barking.

She sleeps downstairs at night and has full access to our open kitchen, dining and living room. She sleeps all through the night and switches between her bed and the sofa a few times but generally is a good sleeper. We have a camera to keep an eye on her and we are really pleased with how she sleeps and she seems to be fully housetrained now as well.

The issue we have is that when I wake up in the morning, as soon as I get out of bed at 6.30am she hears me and barks constantly and will not stop until I go down to see her. The morning routine is set quite well in that i always go down, let her out for the toilet and then we go for a walk before breakfast. This happens pretty much the same every day due to my work schedule.

What’s funny is that my partner can wake up before me and gets up to go to the toilet and she is able to get back without Skylar making a sound! We even watch on the camera sometimes and she is wide awake but does not respond to my partner going to the toilet. Then the second I get out of be she is barking! I rush to get dressed and get downstairs as quick as possible.

Some advice is to ignore it until she goes quiet, but others have said that this can actually have a negative impact as it works her up into a frenzy so i am not sure what is best to do.

It is such a specific case of barking that we are not sure what to do so are looking for help. My partner is 6 months pregnant so we want to rectify this behaviour before the difficulty of introducing a baby into the mix!

She will occasionally bark if we both leave her in the day and are upstairs but this tends to die down and a well placed full Kong keeps her happily distracted.

Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks