Morning "surprises"....potty!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

My Cooper, now 13 months was decrated mid-February and all was well. He has been sleeping on the sofa in his area where his crate has been. I was crating him at night and when I left the house but now he just does not use the crate at all.
    This past week I have come in to his room and have had a surprise twice! Not as if he had just done them.....as if he had to go during the night.
    Should I (1) put him back in his crate at night (2) take him out just before he goes to bed.
    He goes to bed at 9PM, having pottied around 7PM....sometimes he doesnt even do that. He starts sleeping around 7:30 and refuses to get up and go outside before the house settles down to go to sleep! It is difficult to "drag" a 75 pound dog outdoors.
    I dont want this to become a habit so need your help to end it ASAP. Thank you!

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Re: Morning "surprises"....potty!

Hi, not sure that I can offer too much advice but if Cooper has recently started leaving "surprises", my first question would be is there a health problem which is causing it, the second would be whether there are any changes to the household which may have upset him?

I would recommend that you take him out for toileting before bedtime as his last toilet opportunity does seem to be rather early. Juno goes out for toileting after her dinner in the evening so that's somewhere around 6:30 to 7:30, she then settles down for the evening but always goes out again at bedtime, normally somewhere between 10:30 and 11:00. Sometimes she asks to go out during the course f the evening for a wee but always goes out again at bedtime.

Hope this helps and Cooper soon stops leaving surprises for you..

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We make sure Harley goes out just before we go to bed which is about 11pm. She comes out reluctantly, but after staying out there for at least 10 mins with her, she will go. We I plebe red this St an early age and she now knows she has to go out.
    What time does Cooper have his tea? I find Harley usually goes to the toilet between 30 mins - 1 hour after tea.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, check for health and if all fine, look at toileting schedule.

Charlie will only poo in the garden if he really, really needs to go. He will wee in the garden but only because he will go on cue for a reward.

So my solution is a quick whizz round the block at about 10pm, usually does the trick and we have an empty dog for bedtime...

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think his last toilet opportunity needs to be just before your bed time.

I make sure both of mine 'go' just before bed (10pm) the colder the weather, the longer they take!

6. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Naya, Cooper has his tea at around 5:30PM. One week ago he went from three to two meals a day...now he eats at 7/7:30AM and the latest 6:00PM.
    He does not have health issues, thank goodness.
    I will make sure to take him out (by force!) just before we go to bed, that way he will be "empty" at bedtime. Yes, they take longer to go the colder it is outside! But, I was totally surprised that when we had snow on the ground he would go out on his own before going to bed and did his business without me going with him! We had tons of feet of snow this Winter from January 26 through March 25th and I was hoping this would continue....him going on his own....but I see that all of you are with your pups at night when they should be going to the bathroom.....so.....I will go back to doing the same.
    Thanks for your help. Cooper is a real good puppy....a 75 pound puppy! He loves dogs and people....not cats so much! He is great company, pretty well behaved (most of the time) and I am beginning to let him walk around the house when I am home....until now his area has been this large family room where we watch TV and spend most of our time when not sleeping, working, or doing errands. But I certainly dont want him to use the house as his own bathroom.....so will start tonight taking him out myself.
    Thanks again.

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Good luck, Yvonne with the toileting plan. Let us know how you get on.

8. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Last night I took him out at 8:30PM.....he wee'd right away but took forever to do potty.....but he finally did and I'm sure that made him feel better....certainly made me feel better! This morning...NO SURPRISES!!!
    So, that is what I will do every night before we go to bed.
    Thanks for all your help.

9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Well done to Cooper, few more evening like that and it will be the normal routine.

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Glad you've had a good result with a little adjustment,We take Dex out for a quick whizz round the block before bedtime,if Cooper is a bit reluctant to get out of bed when he's got himself settled he will soon learn the new regime and feel better for it x

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Woohoo
    I find if I don't go out with Harley she will loiter and not go! At 20 months old as well

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah. Go into the garden without a human attendant to feed me treats when I have a pee? "Not likely, mate", says Charlie. ;D ;D ;D

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Oh, oh! Second night....took him out before bed.....he pee'd but we stood out in the rain for 25 minutes and he did not potty!!! Now, he HAD been out a couple of times to "his area" after his dinner (tea) but dont know what he did.
    So, brought him back in after being drenched and he just watched me pacing back and forth in the rain wondering what the heck I was doing.....put him in his crate for the night (hasn't been in it since February) and all was OK this morning. But, I dont really want to crate him ... did I do wrong? Oh, and I kept telling him he would get a treat if he pottied (and showed the treat to him).
    Tonight I will be taking him out again and forever BUT, if he doesnt do it after half an hour???? Do I stick it out for an hour??

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I take Juno out before bedtime. She always wees but does not always poo. I only give her a few minutes before we head for the door to come in. As I know she has been earlier I don't worry and just put her to bed. I would take Cooper out but only give him five minutes or so then put him to bed. If he's happy to go in his crate I would do that as he's unlikely to use his sleeping area for his toilet. Let us know how it goes.

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I wouldn't worry about putting him back in his crate, just use it to re-establish good habits and no toileting inside.

16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Yvonne link=topic=10483.msg155163#msg155163 date=1428496475]

Tonight I will be taking him out again and forever BUT, if he doesnt do it after half an hour???? Do I stick it out for an hour??
    [/quote]

No, that's too long for any body to stand! I would give it 5 or so minutes then give in. But it's a good idea to use a crate for bed, I think, until a really good new routine is sorted. Then give him slightly more space at night - but not too much.

:)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, you have to get a routine sorted one way or another. If you don't hear him at night, and he goes to bed when really he needs a poo, it's probably only a matter of time before he poos in his crate. So then you are stuck.

I'd take him for a walk last thing, to wherever local he is likely to poo if that'll work. Round the block should be a lot quicker than stood in the garden for an hour...

18. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I walk Pongo round the garden last thing at night before we go to bed. He never wants to come, but it nearly always results in a pee and (eventually) a poo. If he hasn't delivered after one circuit of the garden (5 or 10 minutes maximum) then I assume he really doesn't need one.

The movement of walking definitely gets the poo going ::) - so yes, take him for a 5 or 10 minute walk rather than just standing in the rain (if you can).

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Before bedtime poo time strollies....thought everyone did it.... ;D ;D ;D

20. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10483.msg155237#msg155237 date=1428521954]
    Before bedtime poo time strollies....thought everyone did it.... ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Nope :D Mira never poos at bedtime - just a quick dash into the garden for a pee :)