Mouthing dummy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by elsarivka, Jun 29, 2014.

1. elsarivka

elsarivka Registered Users

Hi, I'm very new to gun dog training and have been using lots of the great training guides on the forum. Willoughby has just gone two, been told he's got loads of drive and doing well retrieving to hand but tends to chomp down on the dummy as he gets close. I've been told it's over enthusiasm and he will grow out of it but this morning he seemed to be getting worse, leaving teeth marks in the dummy. I have tried walking him to heel before taking the dummy, I've tried letting him carry a dummy around when walking on his lead and he doesn't chomp them. Any tips to try and curb his enthusiasm a bit would be greatly appreciated.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Mouthing dummy

I have the same problem with my two and a half year old. He is very soft mouthed as he carries the dummy or ball about, but when he gets near to me he mouths it, I think it is excitement.

This morning I had two tennis balls, gave him one to hold and when he was holding it still, I took it from him and immediately placed another in his mouth and continued to change them, then he walked about 100yds home with it gently in his mouth. I have bought a squeaky tennis ball and if he makes the slightest squeak with it, I say 'gently' and he seems to be getting the idea. This is about as far as I have got......

Will be interested in any answers you get to solve the problem

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I think Pippa used a clicker to try and catch Rachael before she started mouthing and so she would spit the dummy to get the treat. The detail is in Pippa's article on clicker training Rachael's retrieve but I can't find it at the moment if someone doesn't post it before I get back online I'll look for it later :)

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm not sure if it was the clicker retreive article you meant Barbara...in case it is I've put it here....

http://totallygundogs.com/clicker-trained-retrieve/

I can't help with an answer to your problem I'm sorry......My dog is a reluctant retriever and drops a bit short but chomping is something that hasn't been a problem ...so far ;D

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

6. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Thanks Julie. This is something I think we will have to work on.

7. elsarivka

elsarivka Registered Users

Thank you for the link. I've not used clicker training as such just a positive mark with the word good and then treat. I've tried a variation of what was used with a squeaky toy in a sock and the cue word gentle. If he retrieves without squeaking I've praised and treated. We are getting about one in three retrieves without a squeak. I'm not sure if it will work with a dummy but will keep trying. It's probably been my fault from having an older dog that won't retrieve I worked really hard getting this one interested but now he's a bit over enthusiastic.

8. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users