Mouthing / nipping again at 6 months.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lozzz31, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Ziggy used to be quite a mouthy dog when he was younger but for the last 6 weeks or so he's been much less mouthy and nippy which we were really pleased about. Unfortunately though, it's just started up again and now he's mouthing and nipping quite a lot again. It's such a shame when he was doing so well! He really lulled us into a false sense of security! Any ideas as to why he's gone mouthy and nippy again? Might it be teething? Or perhaps I've got a naughty teenager on my hands?
    Thank you for any ideas!
    Lorraine

2. Bonza

Bonza Registered Users

Hi Lorraine

My pup was like this and still has her moments. She is just over 8 months. Admittedly, my experience with lab pups is quite limited but I was having a conversation with one of my friends, who is sooooo much more experienced than me, about biting suddenly reappearing after having subsided for a while and she wasn't particularly surprised by it. In her view they do start to test the boundaries a little more as they get a bit older. That was what i found with Bonnie. I must admit I think we became a little more relaxed with her as well when it seemed the niping had calmed down, so I don't feel we were reinforcing the no biting rules as much as we should. In my experience, each puppy I have had has responded brilliantly to praise and it has been a case of giving lots of praise every time for the behaviour you want. Consistency, I find, is the key to it, so keep at it.

I have found a lot of Bonnie's nipping behaviour comes from frustration, overexcitement or over-tiredness. If you think that could be the case for Ziggy, trying to reinforce a cue to calm down could really help and taking yourself/or him away from the situation for a bit of timeout may help too.

wyolab and Lozzz31 like this.