Moving Crate

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by RuthElizabeth, Aug 1, 2018.

1. RuthElizabeth

RuthElizabeth Registered Users

Hi,

Apologies for so many questions! Getting a new puppy seems to bring many. We have had our pup just outside our bedroom since we got him last week and he is now sleeping from 11 - 5.30 with now issues. However having the crate outside the room is making it tough for my husband, who is disabled, to get around. We have therefore moved it just up the hall a little way. Today when I have popped him in his crate for a nap he has been whining and crying for a while before falling asleep. I imagine this is because we've moved the crate. Shall we continue to ignore it and he'll get back to normal?

Ruth

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Ruth, sorry this question was missed. In general, the smaller the increments in any change, the less likely your puppy is to protest, but once you have put him in the crate in the new position it's worth waiting to see if he settles. If you do have to get him out, wait for a lull in the crying and praise him mightily while he is quiet before releasing him, so that you do not reinforce the noise.

3. Anomaly

Anomaly Registered Users

I wanted to move mine from next to my bed to the foot of the bed. At the suggestion of a knowledgeable friend I moved it a few inches every day/every few days. Seemed to take forever, but she never noticed. I even turned the corner this way.

4. Remington’s Dad

Remington’s Dad Registered Users

Would having two crates be a bad idea? Our puppy sleeps in our bedroom in a crate and does very well. However during the day when we want to contain him while we leave the house for errands, we move his crate to the kitchen. Are we confusing him? Would a crate in our bedroom and a seperate crate in the kitchen be appropriate?