Moving house

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Katrina Johnston, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Katrina Johnston

Katrina Johnston Registered Users

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I wondered if you had any advice for moving house with our 13 month old pup Rufus?

We move in about a month, from a flat to a house with a garden which will suit us all so much better. I would love some advice to help Rufus settle in.

Thanks,
    Trina

2. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

We haven't moved house but we did have a week in a holiday cottage this year, so i base my comments on that.

When we arrived we just threw some of his familiar toys and bedding around the place and gave him a sniff around. He settled in just fine.

We came to to the conclusion that our boy is more interested that we are there and he wasn't so bothered about the change of building.

Good luck with the move!

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

We moved house with Belle a couple of times. We didn't fuss or do anything special, she just moved with us & was happy because we were there. She had a little explore around the house each time, but we just left her to it. She was perfectly fine.

4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We moved from an apartment to a house when Quinn turned 2. I don't know if it made any difference, but we brought her to the new house every time we went to look/drop things off and also had a (new) dog bed there and some toys. The day we moved she spent the day with the dog walker and I had a few days off work after that to settle in. Since we stayed in our neighbourhood, her walks were similar and she was totally fine. One thing that was maybe a mistake was bringing her back to our old, empty apartment for the final clean up - she seemed really freaked out and stood at the door to leave. She loves having a yard. Good luck with the move!

5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We go back and forth between our house and our cabin, and really never did anything special the first time or to. We did take a portable crate up for Cooper the first time. Ours also go on vacation with us and stay in motels on the way, and with relatives at our destination. They never seemed at all upset by the changes.