Moving to three meals

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Boogie, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I know this has been asked before. I have forgotten what was said and I've forgotten what I did with Tatze!

Gypsy is twelve weeks old on Monday and I will be moving her to three meals.

Do I do this by gradually cutting one meal out or all at once share the amount by 3 instead of 4?

[​IMG]

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Re: Moving to three meals

I moved straight to 3 meals but adjusted the timings so that they were evenly spaced. I don't know if this is the 'right' answer though !

3. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

I'm thinking of doing this with Jack & Barney, they're 12 weeks tomorrow. My main reason for doing it is that most days now they sleep past their 11am feed time and it ends up messing the rest of mealtimes up.

They are on 200g a day so have 4 x 50g, i intend to give them 70g morning and evening and 60g at lunchtime, until they need more then i'll increase each meal.

I hope this is the right thing to do, it's 12 years since we had a lab puppy last and i can't remember what we did!

4. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Mags, I just shared the total days allowance into 3 meals instead of 4. I had a couple of days of "what, where has my 11am food gone too, I'm starving"!!!! ::)

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I changed the times I fed her to 8am, 1pm, 8pm. Before, it was 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm ish. I divided the daily total into 3 instead of 4, making lunch a bit less than breakfast and tea.
    Now I've moved to 2 meals a day, but Harley won't eat in the morning!! She now eats at 12.30pm and 7.30pm.

6. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Love the pic

7. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Hi,
    I have just done this this week at 15 weeks old. I was advised by the breeder to feed 4 meals until 16 weeks but it can be a pain fitting it all in!
    I wasn't sure what to do either ! I am just feeding the same amount just split into 3 instead of 4 meals.
    Nellie is feed on a raw diet so not so easy to judge how much too feed but trying not to worry to much although she looks like she might be getting a bit porky so might cut back a little!