Mucus in Puppy's Stool

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Benjamin, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Registered Users

My 7 month old English Labrador has been on the raw diet for a few months now and I recently experimented with giving him some raw fish from the store. It’s farmed fish from Taiwan called milk fish so I’m sure it’s not the best. (I’ve fed him pieces of other fish before like salmon and tuna and he’s been fine). I basically cut the whole fish in half and have him one piece at a time. The very next day he had terrible diarrhea in the middle of the night and the next day just soup. The next few days he has had mucus in his stool and straining to poop. Other than that he is fine plenty of energy. He’s not thirsty for water and I have to put something in it for him to drink like a bit of broth. I have him some pumpkin so he doesn’t have diarrhea anymore but the mucus is about half the stool. I bought some cottage cheese and wondering if that might help his gut health. Any suggestions?

2. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Clearly you don't want to feed him milk fish anymore. Note this:

"An increase in mucus is often a symptom of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), which is an irritation and possible inflammation of the colon or large intestine. When irritated, the intestinal tract decides to create an extra layer of protective mucous lining."

The milk fish may have been the contributing factor. May take some time for his insides to settle back to normal. 2 things: is there lactose in cottage cheese? If yes, don't, and never give your dog raw salmon. Can cause same issues you're having now. Nasty parasites that can kill.