Mugsy, big 4 month puppy plays too rough with small dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by my4boyss, Mar 3, 2014.

1. my4boyss

my4boyss Registered Users

Hello. New to site hoping to get some suggestions. My son has an adorable 4 month old lab, Mugsy. He is very affectionate. I dog sit frequently. Mugsy plays very rough with my little dog (min pin mix 12 lbs.) He hurts her, teeth are so sharp. My little one nips and yelps at him. Sometimes it turns aggressive, her part defending herself. He leaves his farm friends, (2 pigmy goats, bonnie and clyde :)) alone. Gets very excited when we come to visit. Several days at a time. I am hoping this will pass, but in the meantime?? Thank you in advance for your input.

2. my4boyss

my4boyss Registered Users

Puppy 4 mo. plays very rough with small dog

Hi everyone. new to the site. My son has an adorable 4 month old chocolate lab. Mugsy! Very loving and affection, but oh so rough. I am sure this too shall pass. In the meantime, I dog and goat sit (Mugsy the puppy, and Bonnie and Clyde the 2 pigmy goats.) I have a little dog, Levy, (rescue dog min pin and ?) Yep a little yappy one that is loved a great deal. Mugsy plays so rough and hurts Levy. She defends herself by nipping, and yelping. Mugsy's teeth are so sharp. They are friends, as there are times they play well. She is faster than he is :). Any suggestions on how to get him to be gentle during play? He weighs about 35 pounds and she is 12 pounds.

3. Jules

Jules Registered Users

Re: Puppy 4 mo. plays very rough with small dog

He will learn and your Min Pin will teach him, but at the moment he is very young. It's a bit like asking a toddler to play nicely with a hamster. Yes while you're watching you can make sure the toddler is gentle, but the moment your back's turned it's squeezing the furry critter until it bites. So right now I'd say keep supervising them and if you can see it's getting too rough, then call "Enough!" and separate them until the pup has calmed down.

I have Labs and Min Poodles, so I know how easy it is for the little ones to get hurt by the big ones, but ultimately, once the bigs have been told off by the Poods severely a few times, they learn to be more careful when they play. All my lot mix nicely together now and the Labs are a lot less clumsy when playing than they would be if they hadn't lived with the Poodles ;D .

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Mugsy, big 4 month puppy plays too rough with small dog

Hi my4boyss I've merged your topics so you can get all responses in one place and everyone can see what's already been said :)

It sounds like you're doing the right thing and stepping in when your min pin needs a break and as Jules says the pup will learn in time :)