My 10 week old gorgeous puppy - Diorrohea

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Helen, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Helen

Helen Registered Users

Hi, i have a question if anyone could advise, my lovely 10 week old pup had his 2nd injection Thursday, since Friday he has had diorrohea, it is only when he normally needs a poo not every few minutes, we have had him on chicken and rice for a few of his meals but yesterday he seemed bunged up so i gave him his normal puppy food this morning, which he had a poo this morning and it was normal but lunchtime and tea it was runny again, should i continue with the rice and chicken for a few more days? He is absolutely fine in himself eating and drinking well and playing well so i'm not overly concerned i would just appreciate any advise.

Since last Sunday i have been in the process of changing his food (i'm giving him half of his old food which the breeder gave him Beta, and half James Wellbeloved) so when he is back on solid food should i continue with the half and half or go back to Beta.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: My 10 week old gorgeous puppy - Diorrohea

JWB is excellent food but it did give my pup the runs, so i didn't continue with it. Maybe it doesn't suit all dogs? Or maybe your pup has a wee bug?

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Helen,
    it's good news that your puppy is well in himself.
    It could be the injection, but also could be the food changeover, and I might think the latter as being the greater offender.
    It is pretty common to have loose stools just simply with the transition in a new home, but I am assuming he has been okay for a couple of weeks with you before this?
    We would normally advise a nice slow changeover of food and maybe going straight to half and half is a bit much.
    I think switching over 10-14 days is a good target.
    I know we had terrible problems with diarrhoea when switching to a new food as a pup, and it took Lilly some time to settle.
    I haven't used JWB so can't comment on it myself.

4. Helen

Helen Registered Users

Thankyou both for your comments, Buster has been fine since he has been with us for 2 weeks, we were wondering if it was the food but just assumed as it started after the injection it was that, so i will go back to his original food and see how we go.

I love this forum i have looked on it daily for any helpful hints/tips and advise as he is our first puppy and i can say he is an absolute delight i love everything about him, well apart from the biting but we are trying. I'm sure this won't be the last time you hear from me.

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

My pup used to be on Beta and her poo was always loose on it. James Wellbeloved is a pretty good food however I have heard of some dogs having terrible reactions to it, so it's possible it could be dietary. What's the reason you are changing food? Personal preference? If your pup was solid on the Beta I would go back to that for a couple of weeks before trying the switch again.

6. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

[​IMG] from a teeny tiny black 5 1/2 year old Lab known as The DivaDog and her pet human [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Indy

Indy Registered Users

I would go back to the Beta for a few more weeks.
    Question why did you change?
    The pup is only 10 weeks old and has a very sensitive digestive system and changing food so early has most likely upset his tum.

If you do intend to carry on with the change, make sure you are feeding the correct amount of the new food, every food has different make up so the amount may be different.
    Overfeeding can also cause the runs.

8. Helen

Helen Registered Users

Hello, i did move Buster back on to Beta earlier this week, and his poo improved a lot, although sometimes it's like cow pat and sometimes solid, but he has been scooting on his bum a bit, so i took him to the vets today and she has recomended he goes back on to chicken and rice or sensitive control tined food, his anal glands were blocked a bit as well so she sorted that out, so should see an improvement on the scooting and he will be back to having normal poo's very soon.

I think i'll stick with Beta for a while as he is fine on it.

9. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Anal gland issue could have been from having the loose poo - they sometimes don't empty correctly as they should do when poos are nice and firm. The on-off diarrhoea sounds like it could possibly be related to over feeding and treats. If the poo starts out ok and then ends with a runny bit that's a sure sign that he's being fed too much - try reducing each meal by about a handful of kibble and see how he goes. Also be sure to cut back the amount of food if you are doing a lot of training and he gets lots of treats or added extras such as stuffed Kongs or chews.
    Did he have a wormer recently? Puppies should be wormed every 4 weeks until 12 weeks of age, and having a worming treatment could also cause the poo to be a bit loose.

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I had months and months of problems with diarrhoea with Harley and have now changed her food to grain free. It has made a huge difference. Might be worth looking into??

11. Dr CEM

Dr CEM Registered Users

I hope it clears up soon Helen. It's such a common problem, although naturally more worrying in a little pup. Best wishes,

12. Helen

Helen Registered Users

Lauren, after reading your comments it made perfect sense to us as we are training Buster, plus a kong when we are out, i wish i would have posted a message before i took him to the vets. Yes we took him to vets when we furst ot him and he was wormed then.

We now have normal poo's and no more scooting on his bum, he is still on the sensitive food for another day so will definately make sure we are not overfeeding my little man. Thankyou all soo much for your comments they have been a huge help.