My 4 month old is playfully attacking my 8 year old Chocolate

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jack Cannon, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Jack Cannon

Jack Cannon Registered Users

Hi we have a wonderful 4 month old yellow female but we are getting a little concerned with her biting and hanging on our 8 year old chocolate's neck just about all the time.

It does not appear aggressive at all really just playful but I have noticed some scabbing on the neck of our chocolate and I have to assume it is hurting her a bit.

The chocolate is really a great dog and does not have an aggressive bone in her body so all she normally does is jump on the couch to get away.

How do we work to stop this behavior with the pup? They have loads of toys that they play with often together. We are just no sure what to do.

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum :)

It's great that your older girl has somewhere to escape to, but I would also do my best to keep the puppy away from her most of the time for the time being, so that she there's no risk of her being pushed to the limits of her patience (especially now the biting is starting to hurt).

The easiest way to do this is by using baby gates to confine them to separate parts of the home until the puppy is a bit older.

Playing games and doing training with your new puppy in a 1:1 setting will give her an outlet for all that energy without her taking it out on your older girl, and also make sure the puppy ends up more closely bonded to you than her big sister.

Michael A Brooks likes this.