my dog has runny poo! - is it he treats im giving him?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by blackjack, Jul 25, 2013.

1. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

please help.

We've only had jack for just over 2 weeks, when he arrived his poops were fairly solid (you could pick them up) i dont think he was treated much and as we are trying to train him hes getting a fair few treats. He also will have dentastix 1 per day and not everyday and chews stick things flat things upto 2 per day, but not everyday when i pop out for a bit, we dont give him any human food. Im thinking the treats are making him poorly, what can i give him that he will enjoy but not upset his tummy?

Hes fed on skinners dry food duck and rice, he was previously fed on skinners chicken and rice but i cant get that here :-\

some days are better than others for solidity of poops but surely they should be solidish most of the time.

ive got a rawhide chew but im too scared to give it to him after hearing about bits getting stuck in thier throats/mouths.

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: my dog has runny poo! - is it he treats im giving him?

It could very well be the treats. I would take some of the kibble out of his daily allowance for his training rewards and maybe use a kong filled with his dry kibble and topped up with some chicken stock and pop it in the freezer. That will keep him occupied for longer periods.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sorry to hear that, i don't have a great deal of insight, Charlie seems to be able to eat anything without problems, the only thing that sometimes upsets his tum is antibiotics. But. I do stuff and freeze kongs with his kibble allowance - if he is fine with just his food, you could try that?

4. blackjack

thanks guys, it looks like trial and error then with which things will upset his tum. Ill not give any treats now but use his kibble instead as suggested, once the poops get back to normal ill re-introduce them slowly till we can work out which ones it is!

hes got a kong wobbler, which are the kongs you can stuff and which size do i need? theres so many kong products! can anyone post a pic of the one i need to get?

thankyou

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

They are the original kongs - they are rubber, holes at each end, bigger at one end than the other. Charlie uses large puppy kongs now, but started with medium puppy kongs.

O - a bulldog clip keeps the chicken stock from running out while you freeze it (or soak the kibble first, but I use more kibble that way).

6. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

when i was using cheese for treats jasper was very runny,
    i have a medium kong sardines , kibble, and a salmon paste mixed together :)
    its all trial and error , :)

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'd agree re. giving the dentastix and other 'commercial' chews a miss for a bit to see if that helps.

Hunks of chewy bread dried out in the oven make a good doggy rusk that should be ok for his tummy. Some dogs like to chew on a raw carrot so you could try that.

8. blackjack

grr, right ive just rung a local food stockist for skinners and asked if they do chicken and rice (which his previous owners were feeding him) and it turns out that flavour is for sensitive tums! i qas not told this by the seller of jack only that he was on chicken and rice. Ive been unable to get that one so bought the duck and rice thinking that was a good alternative. So now my next question is which dry food can i give him thats for sensitive tums?

9. blackjack

thank you, ill try cutting out "treats" and now use kibble, carrots and toast thanks for your help

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Blackjack Ive replied on your dry food other post .....it's tough with the upset tummies...