My first lab.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jaspersdad, May 10, 2014.

1. jaspersdad

jaspersdad Registered Users

Hi everyone, I loved the site and forum and despite all the warnings I decided to go ahead with a lab pup anyway!

Jasper has just turned 11 weeks and he came home with me last Sunday. What's surprising me though is how lazy he is! It makes me a little worried for him when I read of all these hyper pups, as he'll be coaxed into around 5 minutes of play before climbing on my lap or plodding off to his favourite rug for a kip. (Oh and he snores like a warthog!)

He got his first jabs and a checkup on Thursday and the vet says he's tip top. I must admit he's taken well to the crate and we've only had 3 wees in the house over the week (we have 4 & 7 year old kids so were distracted! ). Am I expecting too much activity from him at this age?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: My first lab.

Pups sleep a LOT!

But in between sleeps I would expect them to be pretty active.

:)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there and welcome!

All pups are different. We got my old dog Bones at 12 weeks and he was always a great one for going off for a little snooze... If the vet says he's fine then I wouldn't worry!

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Hello from me and Molly. I think if your vet has said Jasper is in good health then you should just count your lucky stars! (I don't recall my last dog being anything like as hectic as Molly when he was a pup - I might be mis-remembering, but I think each is an individual.)

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome from us, Hattie 6 years and rescue boy Charlie 3 years. Enjoy Jasper he sounds like a joy :) x

6. jaspersdad

jaspersdad Registered Users

Thanks. I guess I'm just worrying too much as he's a little bit poorly today. He was sick this morning (before breakfast thankfully) and hasn't been very keen to eat since. He took some coaxing into breakfast and left half his lunch which is very unlike him so far - he wolfed down every morsel until today. The vet said to expect he'd be off colour after the jab but that was Thursday and besides being carsick on the way home he was fine yesterday.
    Anyway, here's a couple of snaps; one with my youngest earlier this week and another I took just now as he's in his usual state!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aw what a cutie x :D

8. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

He's lovely. Maybe he is just a chilled dog; I'd quite like that. I would let him sleep as much as he likes for the time being.

9. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Oh, and doesn't he know how to pose

Enjoy the peace (while it lasts)☺️

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,sorry he's been poorly today,that's a lovely photo of him with your son x
    My dog is 20 months now ,he has always snoozed away during the quiet times of the day,I used to worry a bit too as he's our first dog and spent a lot of time googling,how much should my dog sleep ;D but the second there is action he's up and at it .I thank my luck because he's never been one to go looking for trouble if you know what I mean,chewing of the house ::)was minimal ;DEnjoy the quiet times because there will be some hectic times too ;D a lovely pup ,enjoy him x

11. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

He certainly isnt lazy, remember he is a baby, and babys need a lot of sleep. Otis was the same at that age, I loved the sound of him snoring. He looks a sweetie, enjoy him, lots of puppy snuggles, which are the best xx

12. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

He is lovely! If the tum upset continues you could consult the vet, you don't want that to continue too long. But likely it's to do with the needles, so try not to worry. Enjoy the sleepy puppy, soon he'll turn into a teething monster! :)

13. lablover

lablover Registered Users

He's gorgeous. When meg was a puppy (she's 14 now) I'd be playing with her and all of a sudden she would just drop off to sleep. Every pup is individual, so don't worry too much. Hope he gets over his sickness, maybe trip to vet if it doesn't clear up. Welcome, this is a lovely forum, great place for getting ideas and advice.

14. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh gorgeous puppy!

Our boy Pongo (22 weeks) is also a really chilled out pup compared to some of the stories on this thread - he has always slept a lot during the day. I'm sure that he is simply adjusted to us (we both work from home but we're pretty boring while working!) - he knows there is no point trying to get us to play while we're plugged into our laptops, so he just curls up on his favourite chair and snores. He is plenty active enough when we go out for walks, and his weight and shape look fine, so I'm not worrying - just desperately in love with him!

As long as your vet gives him a clean bill of health, just enjoy your lovely, LOVELY puppy (although if you are like me you will still worry about every little aspect of him....)

Rosie

15. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Another gorgeous puppy - cuteness overload today! Enjoy the peace I say - Mira was never one for sleeping if she thought there was the least chance she might miss something, got a bit wearing!
    She's sleeping a bit more now - at 16months!!!

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Jasper is gorgeous :) What lovely photos.

As Lisa said, if his appetite stays low, he vomits again or/and he doesn't perk up then give the vet a call :)

17. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Welcome , and thank you for sharing those lovely photos , adoreable :)

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If your vet says he is healthy, just enjoy a quiet puppy! I swear I'm entitled to my next 5 puppies being quiet ones after Charlie! ;D ;D ;D

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there and welcome from me and Lilly too :)
    Jasper is gorgeous.
    Your pictures are fab :) :)

jac

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and Harley (9 month old red fox) :)
    Love the photos :)
    Most pups sleep a lot so I wouldn't worry too much. Of the sickness or lack of appetite continues over the next 24 hours might be best to consult a vet to be on the safe side