My friend forever

Discussion in 'The Rainbow Bridge' started by Rachel1221, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Rachel1221

Rachel1221 Registered Users

My dear 11 year old chocolate lab passed away suddenly this past Friday. I am missing my protector, best friend, garbage disposal, squirrel hunter, hide and seek playing, happiest dog ever! I am beating myself up wondering how and why? Did I miss something? Did the vet miss something? I understand that she was "old", but where were the signs? The night before she passed she was having difficulty with her back legs which wasn't too unusual since she has had surgery in the past and was taking Tramadol and meloxicam. When this occurred she looked funny up at us. We noticed her breathing was labored and that she didn't want to move. I have her her Tramadol because I thought she was having pain. She slept through the night comfortably. I got up the next morning and seen that she was doing some labored abdominal breathing. Her gums were pink and she drank some water. She also ate the night before. I took to the vet for X-ray and lab work. X-ray showed a slight enlarged heart, some small areas to her lungs and that it might be her spleen. They did mention a possibility of hemangiosarcoma, however wasn't sure. We kissed our baby as she was getting an IV and told her we would see her later only to get a dreadful phone call just an hour and half later..."we lost her he said" the only thing that I could think of is how??? I have thought about this all weekend and have cried my eyes out. How are we going to deal with this? I could only think of my 13 year daughter who has had her since she was two and my other fur baby that is 10 that looked up to her. How do you "deal" with this? Any suggestions are appreciated as I am at a loss. I miss Molly so much. My heart is broken.

2. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi Rachel I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your lovely girl. I understand completely,we lost our girl in January in a similar way. She had been absolutely fine,then suddenly very sick in the middle of the night,we rushed her to the emergency hospital straight away and they took her in telling us to phone in the morning, which was to late.

It was such a shock and we we're devastated. The only thing i can say is it will get better slowly,your heart is breaking now i know. It may help your daughter to do what we did. We couldn't move anything of our girls for weeks but when we felt stronger we brought a pretty box and put her favourite toy,blanket,collar and her ashes in it, this made us feel like we were still looking after her.

I will be thinking of you all at this awful time

3. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

I am so very sorry for your loss. It's a horrible shock, but it sounds like you did your very best for her. Sincerest condolences, Lucy

4. Rachel1221

Thank you for your support.

5. Rachel1221

Thank you for your support.