My God - the biting!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Zacbrownpup, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Zacbrownpup

Zacbrownpup Registered Users

yes - I know - Crocolab... but when does this end? And what can I do to help it?

Out of his crate at 6am? Chomp.
    Putting on his leash? Chomp
    sitting at the dinner table? Jump and chomp
    sitting on the couch (the WORST) jump and chomp.
    walking around (god forbid without shoes on) pounce and chomp
    sitting on the floor - he brings a toy and climbs in our lap (awwww) and then CHOMP!

signed... the walking wounded

2. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Re: My God - the biting!!

Hi there! What we did when Bob bit us, was to do a little squeal and then remove ourselves from any play or interaction. Stopping any interaction is definitely NOT what puppy wants so hopefully they will eventually get the message!

3. Zacbrownpup

Loopy - we do that when we just can't take it anymore. we put him in his crate. But I feel like if we did that every time he bit - he would be there all the time! However, do you think that consistent putting him in there would be reinforcement enough?

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Here is the best advice on biting - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/your-labrador-puppy-biting/

We used all of the methods, our two were both total crocapups.

When small I'd pick them up and put a chew in their mouth.

After that it was a combination of putting a toy in their mouth, squealing and all play stops and time outs.

It stops eventually! (About 15 weeks ish)

:)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Zacbrownpup link=topic=9118.msg130646#msg130646 date=1418659322]

signed... the walking wounded
    [/quote]

Ah I missed this stage taking delivery of an air mail pup at 5 months...we live in Dubai and Dexter came to us from Scotland when he was old enough to be imported.However I've read this post many,many times....and tough as it is I all sounds totally normal .....and this time will pass ;D
    Dexter was only a bit mouthy at 5 months....more so if he got excitable but second teeth are coming in then so it does get easier.
    He's learning and testing what he should be doing to your skin .....and sanity ;D
    Has he got toys to chew on?you can try that alongside crate timeouts .....kong toys are really good too,both to occupy and satisfy the desire to chew...
    How old is your pup?you can stuff the kongs with soaked kibble or moist food if he's only a youngster and work up to freezing them to make them tougher and longer lasting.
    I haven't actually said oh to you yet ,great to see you here on the forum....Dexter is our first dog and he's just turned 2
    Angela x

6. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi there, it's a challenging time that's for sure!

I found all the above advice really good and also trying to keep games, etc calm to prevent too much frenzied play! Rice bones were my saviour!

7. Indy

Indy Registered Users

There is no shortcut to the biting.
    I know it sounds daft but you should allow the pup to bite!!!
    BUT only up to point that it hurts, then do an almightly scream, get up and have no more interaction and not a word for about 30 secs.
    Go back to the pup and allow him to mouth your hand, if he bites again repeat the above.

A pup needs to learn bite inhibition, because when fully grown a bite then would mean a serious injury.

Try not to use the crate as a punishment, a crate should be a safe place for the pup.
    Teach the pup some boundries, at his meal time sit and wait for his meal.
    At your meal time in his crate with a Kong to chew on.
    Sit and wait from the leash to be put on.
    No sitting on couch,the dog should be on the floor, get a blanket for him to lie on.

Sorry posted after others with same advice...

8. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Everything we tried with hollie didn't work :( at 6 1/2 months there are still times she forgets she hasn't chomped on one of us for a while and bites but its now never hard just mouthing. It does get better.....honestly,

We found ice cubes and frozen carrots helped when she was teething.

9. Jo Parker

Jo Parker Registered Users

Hi
    I completely feel your pain (literally!). Phoebe is 11 weeks and non stop biting (part from when asleep!). We have tried everything and nothing really works. Just trying to keep being consistent but it's hard!! Use time out in another room but she doesn't seem too bothered by that! I don't use the crate for time out though. We start walking outside this week so just hoping that helps???? I am covered in scratches! Hang in there everyone says it stops eventually!
    Jo

10. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=Indy link=topic=9118.msg130657#msg130657 date=1418662289]
    no more interaction and not a word for about 30 secs.
    [/quote]

And just a tiny addition from me..... 'no more interaction' includes NO EYE CONTACT. We were amazed what a difference that one element made. The message has to be: "you just really hurt me and I am NOT interested in playing with anyone who hurts me".

11. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Rolo was a little nipper as they all are and we did time out in a spare crate in the same room as us and totally blanked him for a while just saying timeout would stop it.

NOW he bites as you are going from room to room, when your washing up, sat on the sofa basically all the time, worse than before and I'm finding it harder to timeout him as we weren't playing just doing day to day stuff. I might just need tongo back to basics. I thought at 5 months we would be over this and I think I had told myself it was over prematurely!

12. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Mine is 9-1/2 months now but I was bleeding from my arms, hands and legs with him as a little puppy. I did EVERYTHING that had been suggested and the only thing that worked for me was put him in his crate for a few minutes.
    Usually, he would fall asleep after about 3 or 4 minutes and that would give me some relief. Yes, he was in and out of his crate a lot then and he still loves his crate. All the advice is great but you have to find what works for you. For me, it was the crate that saved me from having a daily meltdown!
    Now, he is wonderful. A great companion, affectionate, beautiful boy.
    Keep the faith! It will be over soon. And you will forget this even happened until someone reminds you how bad it was!!! Good luck!

13. Zacbrownpup

Thank you All!!! I appreciate all the advice and have tried a bit of each! And, as always, so glad that I am not alone!

The more we learn as a family - the more Zac learns! I love watching each of our development with him. One night it could be exasperation (see original post) and then with some tools (your advice) and patience, we had a good night last night and this morning. Even my 7 yr old who cried because he was "bitey" now calmly says "I'm so sorry Zac, I love you but that hurts. Let's try again." What worked last night was giving him 3 chances at the biting because we are aware of the bite inhibition importance. When it gets really hard or he doesn't respond with three tries, we simply say "sorry, in the crate". (although I am thinking maybe "sorry - timeout" may be better so as not to confuse him with the "in the crate" command).

I am sure we will have ups and downs - they do lull you into thinking its all good and then "CHOMP!".

We have also started stuffing a kong with biscuits and peanut butter and freezing it, bought him a giant new beef flavored nylabone and give them to him at specific times when we need rest or he is wound up. Before that, we would just leave all the toys and chews around all the time hoping he would find them appealing over us.

I did try a bully twist, but he was devouring that! I had a shihtzu years ago who would chew on those things for days!! I literally went upstairs for 10 mins to change clothes and Zac was eating it like a curly fry! I literally had to pry it out of his mouth for fear he would choke. Which i did successfully to both our credit without him amputating my arm at the wrist. He is used to us fishing things out of his mouth..

Any feedback on the best chew alternatives? Kongs, nylabone we have - as i said. Thoughts on bully sticks? Pigs ears?

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Rice bones are great for small pups, 'tho expensive - they last longer if frozen. They can't get big chunks off them, so they are safer than rawhide.

Hedgehog chews are great too - but no good after 5 months as they don't last :)

[​IMG]

15. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

We heat with wood, so there is always firewood chunks and bark in the house...and Bella chews on all of it....she generally just spits out the chunks as she chews them off....makes for a mess, but better than chair legs and coffee tables in my opinion. ::)

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Glad that you're feeling more positive about it all :)

Definitely start out by giving him time out for all hard bites. I'm not sure what you mean by 'giving him three tries' for other bites though. It's important to be consistent so you clearly communicate what it is that earns the time out. If you wait till he's bitten three times or till he's been told not to three times it might appear a bit random or confusing for him. So, to make sure it's clear to him, give him a time out for all firm bites as soon as he bites. Don't time out him for medium bites or for soft bites or mouthing without applying pressure.

Once he's stopped doing firm bites then raise the bar and give him a time out for medium bites as well. Still don't time out him for soft bites or mouthing without applying pressure.

Once he's stopped doing medium bites you can raise the bar again and time out him for soft bites too. That is the way to teach him to control the pressure he is using with his mouth. :)

17. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Izzys teeth are razor sharp so im glad of all the tips. Off to pets at home tomorrow to buy a few bits!!

18. Zacbrownpup

"I'm not sure what you mean by 'giving him three tries' for other bites though."

Sorry - I meant for hard bites. But you have brought up a good point - the hard bites should not be tolerated. So that gets an immediate ticket to crate-ville!

I do notice that he chomps harder when he is riled up. Specifically at night - he has been playing or chewing and comes over to be with us and chomps. It doesn't happen as often at other times. So I guess that is good?

Meanwhile - we had our 2nd vet appointment yesterday and he was worked up. I think he was nervous about being in this unfamiliar place with the slippery floors and high exam table. So he would bark and jump, but calm down if I knelt next to him and soothed him. Once the vet and vet tech came in - they hoisted him up onto the table and he was being his "bitey" self. I don't know if he was excited to see new people - or nervous. But they made a few comments about him being "tough" and "trying to be the boss" and that we would need to seek training for "problem behavior". I was so upset! My biggest fear has been a large dog that has bad behavior. Yet our trainer who has spent almost 3 hours with him has said he is a normal, smart pup. And he is so good in working with the treats and clicker! I was nearly in tears and emailed the trainer immediately. She comforted me by saying that not all vets have specialties in behavior and that they were likely off handed comments - and reiterated that she felt Zac was a normal and smart pup.

Then the vet said "make sure you work with your trainer on him learning his name". Ummm - we have had him a month - learning his name was never an issue. And she goes on to say how that was a big issue with her dog. I told her how we had used shaping behavior taught to Zac and us by the trainer to have him lay on his bed and admitted that "I didn't think it would happen - but it didn't take long and now he will happily go to his bed when we work with him". She was in shock... so..... I am guessing training and behavior are not her specialty? Is that a big issue with a vet? I am considering switching vets, but don't want to overreact.

So - any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

but happy to report that he is growing nicely and up to 22lbs at his 11 week visit.

19. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Zac is a growing boy!!! ;D ;D

If you aren't comfortable with the advice of your vet, and if he/she is being pushy about behavior and training...I would switch. A vet is NOT a trainer.

I would keep working with the no biting and crate time out, and ensure the consistency. My Bella is a few weeks older than Zac, and when she gets excited, she looses all memory of training... ::) We are working on learning how to distract and calm. I've been working on "look at me" specifically....but need to put more of a concerted effort into seeing/greeting new people. While she is about the same size as Zac....she won't be small forever and she NEEDs manners. :-[

Note to self...find a consistent training time every day and STICK TO IT....set some goals/focus areas and work on the skills. ::)

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

You've got to feel comfortable and trust your vet....I had an awful vet appointment not long after we got Dexter and came away in tears ,she basically made me feel I was totally useless and Dexter was out of control and had the better of me and life was going to be a mess going forward.Never went back....I've just recently left another vet over an ear issue ,I randomly met a new vet in the doggie daycare reception.he is lovely ,he has working cockers that he trains and shoots with in the UK,Dexter just settled down and went to sleep next to him,(we were sitting on the floor) now that is unheard of,Dexter tolerates a vet visit but doesn't love it.If you have options then I'd maybe look around,you don't sound happy or comfortable...it's not unusual for it to take a while before you find someone that is right x