My Pup Doesn't Seem To Be Growing!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MontysMum, Oct 13, 2014.

1. MontysMum

MontysMum Registered Users

Hi All,

Once again I need your lovely advice.

We went to our puppy training class and the instructor, who has labs herself, commented that our pup doesn't look like he's growing!
    He weighs 15kg and is 5months old. I am careful about his weight but I don't underfeed him. I took him off Burns food as he seemed to go all Bambi like and wasn't putting on weight and he had a runny tummy. He is now on Ardens large puppy and seems quite small and short. He isn't stocky either, you can just about see his ribs and he has the odd puppy fat roll when he sits at a certain angle.
    I'm tempted to take him to the vets just for a check over but wanted to see what you guys say first. I'll try and post a pic in a mo. Xx

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: My Pup Doesn't Seem To Be Growing!

Hiya!
    I think his shape is much more important than weight.
    The pups and adult dogs vary wildly in weight on the forum. Have you seen the thread .....I think it is the "How much does your puppy weigh?"one sorry I can't do a link on.my phone.
    I am sure if you can post a picture we might be able to reassure you.
    Your vet is certainly the best adviser for you though.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I agree with Jacqui. If you post a photo we can give you reassurance, but the vet would be the best :)

4. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

My pup was around 14kg at 5 months. What size were his parents? We will all be waiting for a photo now. Have you recorded his weight each week? Is there a consistent weight gain each week? Lots of labs are not the larger show line types - there's quite a range of sizes. Looking forward to a picture.

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hi Montysmum
    Definitely check with your vet. But also have a look at this link below (if it works) - I've been keeping record on the 'how much does your puppy weigh' thread of all our pups weights versus their ages. Here is the graph. If Monty is 15 kg at 20 weeks then he is not the heaviest, but he is 'in the bunch' with some others. So I wouldn't worry (their shape is much more important than their weight).

Hope this is of interest, anyway. It is due for an update with new information soon!

Rosie

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8un83yx0qbc1ahz/weight age 23 aug 14.JPG?dl=0