My puppy and strangers

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by iruokaj, Mar 26, 2014.

1. iruokaj

iruokaj Registered Users

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I'm sure this has been asked before but I cannot find a post. I have a 4 month old puppy that can not control herself around anyone but my wife and I. Whenever a stranger comes around she jumps up on them and loses it. How can I correct this behavior or will it just get better over time? She responds well to most training but this is by far her biggest challenge so far. My wife is is 9 months pregnant so I know we will have several visitors once we return from the hospital and I'd hate to have to crate her every time someone comes over. Any advice?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: My puppy and strangers

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and my two dogs :) :)

Firstly, let me reasure you that this is completely normal, sorry :) Labradors are very happy sociable dogs and even more so as pups, but yes , you are right to want to stop any unacceptable behaviour , the best way being bribery with treats :)
    Your puppy is still very young and this will improve with age but for now , a gentle push away saying the command DOWN , and once she is down, give her a treat and masses of praise . Like all training ,its all about repetition and patience but she will learn . You might think of getting Pippas book , The Happy Puppy Handbook , available through Amazon and covering all aspects of puppy ownership

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome :)

I have Harley who is 7.5 months old and still jumps up excited sometimes (it is a lot better now!). I ask people to turn their body away from her and only treat/praise when she sits down next to them. It did take quite a few turns, but she got it really quickly. What is difficult is when people greet her whilst she is jumping......this happens occasionally on walks and I do ask them to wait until she is sat, but some people won't! In this situation I get her to come to me and we walk away.

Good luck with the upcoming birth of your child :)

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there! Welcome to the forum.
    New puppy and new baby - you like to challenge yourself then? :D

I would recommend Pippa's Puppy book too.
    And I think briefing your visitors worthwhile too - make sure they know that the more excited they behave, the more excitable your puppy would be.
    Personally, I think I would go for the crate approach - possibly factor in putting some of your pup's food into a kong, and when the doorbell rings, pop your pup in, with the kong, and hence make it a treat for your puppy, but allow you and your visitors to interact without feeling stressed.
    A good way to encourage calm behaviour for future visitors too I think.
    Not sure what my fellow forum-ers think of that.
    jac

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I like that idea. I think that with a little baby and excited visitors it's probably best for everyone's sanity to use some kind of puppy barrier :)

Nice, long lasting treats in the crate (or kibble to hunt for) and additional treats for quiet/calm behaviour in the crate (no attention given by anyone for noisy behaviour). Once all is calm puppy can come out to meet the people.

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Yes I totally agree with the way of Jacqui and Rachael...Dexter wasn't a big jumper but he did at times as he was older when we got him but if I was on my own and couldn't manage combining the arrival into the house with correct timing of c&t for paws on the floor ,Dexter got put behind his gate....once visitors were in and settled he was allowed out.......
    I think Barbara had to manage a similar situation as she had her little girl when Riley was only very young....good luck,congratulations on all your new arrivals xxx

7. iruokaj

iruokaj Registered Users

Thanks everyone