n00bie crate training question

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LB, Apr 7, 2016.

1. LB

LB Registered Users

We (hopefully) get our pup on Saturday!

When starting off w/ crate training, the HP handbook says to either use the cold turkey method or bring the crate into the bedroom for a night or two. This raised a question for us as we were actually planning on having the crate in our bedroom all the time: Is having the pup sleep in our bedroom permanently a bad idea? It works pretty well with the lay out of our house.

2. LB

LB Registered Users

I think I may have put this in the wrong forum, too. Oops! :oops:

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No problems, I can move it to Labrador Puppies in a minute :)

It is totally fine to have a crate or dog bed in your bedroom permanently - and many of us (including me) think that this is the best thing to do. I think that it is what most dogs really want, to be able to sleep near to you (there are always exceptions of course...and not every human wants to sleep with a dog which is ok too). Feel free to start with the crate in your room and leave it there, If you want you can switch to a dog bed when your dog can easily sleep through the whole night without needing to pee or wanting to get up to chew on a rug or something.

4. LB

LB Registered Users

Thanks, Rachel. I couldn't come up with a compelling reason not to, but wanted to be sure we weren't missing something obvious. That happens to me a lot... :D

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No - it's just fine for the pup :)

My problem is I'm a light sleeper and every snort and snore wake me up - so mine sleep in the kitchen.

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Although my plan was for Juno to sleep in her crate in the kitchen it took one cry from her the first night to force a change in plan. Her cry just broke my heart, so puppy and crate were taken upstairs to the bedroom where she settled in her crate after a few whimpers when we turned the lights off, but I stood beside the crate for a few minutes with my hand on the crate and then moved away gradually and just kept speaking quietly to her. Within five minutes she had settled. She slept in our room for the first couple of weeks and then went to the kitchen in her crate without any fuss.

So if you want your puppy in your room, no problem, go for it :D. If I were to have another puppy I wouldn't even consider anything else for the first few weeks.

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome. I started Harley sleeping in her crate in the living room.......she hated it and I slept downstairs a lot until she was 12 weeks old and had a respiratory infection. We brought her upstairs and put her bed in our room. She slept there for a few weeks then ended up on our bed and has stayed there ever since. Our bedroom door is propped open so she can go into our daughter's room or downstairs or even on the landing if she wants. We had the door closed until she was 5 months old incase she needed to go outside for a wee at night - I wanted to make sure I knew who she wanted to go.
    Personally I love Harley sleeping with us and wouldn't change it.......cuddles are the best