Nail Clipping

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by charlie, Dec 24, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

When I had Charlie's nails clipped a while ago now, the lady said she couldn't take much off due to his long nail beds, what is that? If anyone knows I would be grateful :-\
    I think he needs them doing again, so something for the new year. Thanks xx :)

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Nail Clipping

She probably means the quick of his nails, which extends out into the nail. The more often the nails are clipped, the shorter the quick (ie the part with the nerve and blood supply). If nails are clipped rarely the quick grows longer, meaning it is close to the pointy end of the nail and not as much of the nail can be taken off. It's not a problem at all, as long as the nails aren't so long that the foot/toes can't rest naturally on the floor. :)

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Rachael, his nails rest on the floor but they always look long to me compared to Hatties, but hers are clipped every 3 - 4 months. :)

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I had to attempt to clip my GSPs' nails once a fortnight or so, they grew so quickly and couldn't be cut so short, whereas the Labs' are done when I think about it, which could be a couple of months. I think the GSPs have different foot conformation, their nails seem straighter before they turn down. So Charlie may have inherited the GSP nails!